Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan River on May 10

Hi guys,

I have a late report to share. I had the day off last Friday on the 10th to take care of some household necessities, but because it was such a nice day and I haven't been fishing from my kayak since last spring, I said "screw it" and got my stuff ready and went to the closest place to hit the water. I needed to test out the wet mount that I installed for my transducer anyway.

So, between the Rt 95 bridge and the headwater next to the old decommissioned water processing tanks, I mainly trolled and did some casting here and there using white grub with jighead, white/chartruese chatterbait with frog legs, topwater rapala frog pattern popper, carolina rigged salamander, tiny silver and gold shad spoons. It was all to no avail since I didn't get a single hit on any of it. It was a nice day to be out and putz around on the water after such a dry spell. The wet mount transducer install seems to work, but I'm not 100% about it. The water was stained and there was a fair bit of debris upstream, but I would get a lot of surface scatter from time to time and at some points there would be a lot of fish marks suddenly in a row; like 10 to 15 one after the other in a single line. It may be my lack of experience with using a sounder or fishing in general but I'm not sure the readings were completely accurate. Guess I'll have to try it out more to see.

There were a lot of fish breaking the surface upstream and from time to time downstream. I was thinking it was shad, but my father who joined me late in the evening thought it was carp; *shrug*. A group of kayak fishermen who were leaving as I arrived (at about 1PM) said it was slow all morning. Other friendly fishermen I also met earlier in the day seemed to catch little upstream but later went downstream and caught some nice sized blue catfish (one of the fellows indicated he was a member of this forum; forgot his screenname though). Then as I was just about to leave, a couple of friendly veteran fishermen pulled up their jonboat on the ramp and laying inside was a fish that I was initially targeting; a snakehead.

Next time, maybe. Hopefully, it wont be another year before I'm out on the water again. I hope to meet forum members out on the water and maybe at a meet-and-greet. It appears a number of active members live very close to me in northern VA, so it would be cool to carpool or caravan when possible too.

Tight lines,

RY.

Thanks for the report. I know some guy caught 5 snakeheads near the water fall about couple weeks ago. I haven't heard anyone else caught any snakeheads, but I know Leesylvania is very productive.

Khanh

Comment

I'll have to join you to target the Snakeheads in Leesylvania sometime; hopefully there will be some opportunities for our schedules to cross at some point in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X