Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virginia Beach Region: 5/18-5/19. Caught my first red drum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Beach Region: 5/18-5/19. Caught my first red drum!

Just a pupp drum...not a bull red, so dont get too excited

Had a great weekend. I finally fished with Mark Lozier of 1st Landing Kayak Fishing Services. I won a half day guided trip with him at the CBKA tournament raffle. I finally redeemed this prize.

The night before, I fished Rudee in the rain. Launched around 6pm I cast & trolled various lures with no luck. I had one bite off on Gulp! from either a blue or a flounder. Fished bloodworm under the bridge with no luck. Not even a spot to cut up. I went back to trolling into the night.

Next morning, I fished with Mark. We launched at Lynnhaven at 9am. We fished the tail of the outgoing, slack, and the beginning of the incoming. The fishing was slow. We worked various areas, and finally I caught some fish. My first red drum ever! This was my first time targeting them specifically.

Around 2pm, we ended the guided trip. Though the fishing was slow, the knowledge imparted on me by Mark was invaluable.

After fishing with him, I packed up and headed to Newport News. I then fished the James River for croaker. I loaded up at the boat ramp near the bridge & pier. Heading out, I crossed paths with another kayak angler who said he didnt get a bite. I pressed on regardless. I looked at the nautical chart, and went to an area that I suspected would hold fish.

THe action was non stop, but it was mostly baby croakers. I caught 50, easily. At one point I got bored and began to look for bigger fish. As luck would have it, it was just small fish all over the place for me. I took home 8 small (10" range) croaker. If only they were bigger...

It was a fun weekend. I also got to meet Kayak Kevin at Oceans East.
    <insert witty comment here>

Looks like it was a lot of fun!
    Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Congrats on the first one, but I think your drum-ginity is still intact until you eat a keeper.....lol......

Hey, could you have maybe taken the croakers to CBBT to liveline for big stripers?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Congrats Metroman, looks like fun!
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks!

Tuf, I wanted to keep it! But my guide practices C&R, so I followed his lead out of respect for his fishing spots.

red.jpg

Comment

Nice Video! I will be picking up my kayak in the next week or so and look forward to getting out on the water. My brother-in-law just got stationed down in the Va. Beach area and I'm planning on making a few trips down there this year, especially in the fall when the speckled trout bite gets hot. I lived down there back in the mid 90's and there's a state park off of 64th st. in Va Beach where you can launch. If you paddle around to the left of the beach area, there's a creek that feeds out of Crystal lake. That's a great place to target speckled trout in the fall. Here's a link https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lynnh...ven+Inlet&z=15
            BRETT
            Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
              Thanks!

Tuf, I wanted to keep it! But my guide practices C&R, so I followed his lead out of respect for his fishing spots.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6999[/ATTACH]
              Only joking about having to eat it too. Agree, you sure did a courteous move on the C&R.
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Hey MetroMan. I was wondering how fishing rudee inlet at night would be. Been thinking about trying it. Congrats on your first red. My first red was from rudee and my first flounder as well. Maybe we could hook up and fish sometime.

Comment

Nice!! Enjoyed the video ! Been out of there many times on a boat but have never fished Lynnhaven or Rudees . Now that I own a yak, one of many places I like to give a try. Congrats on your first and the release !
                  John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

thanks!

06reggie, it wasnt too bad fishing there at night. Quite peaceful. A lot of the areas have ambient lights from shore (buildings, parking lots, etc)

Comment

Working...
                    X