ES Speck Day 6/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ES Speck Day 6/5

After weeks of watching the wind blow, I was finally able to use my Christmas present to myself...a 6'10" Kistler speck/red rod with a Shimano Sustain 3000. Put off around 6:30 AM on the Bayside of Virginia's northern Eastern Shore. I was solo, and my target location was a group of islands a little over 3 miles out, so the wind and the tide had to be just right. Had the place to myself for the most part except for a few crabbers. As my first photo shows, the surface was "calmmy slick" as the Islanders like to say. Threw the new rod a couple of times just prospecting, and then started trolling in order to cover some of the distance I had in front of me. Got about 100 yds and had a small striper hit a popper float with a chartreuse Gulp! on a jig head. Fished a point, with suspended floating grass everywhere...clean the treble hooks every cast. Time to move on for the islands. Started trolling again (had a Yo-Zuri 3D floating crystal minnow on the Kistler), and had a double knock down. NIRVANA!!! a nice keeper speck hit the Yo-Zuri and I netted that baby fast, knowing the other rod was still rattling away. That was a nice rock, but I quick released it, I was so excited to check the speck still in the net. She measured around 20.5, and made a great dinner last night. It was about an hour before high tide, and I made the first distant island. The wind was starting to pick up, and I caught two more stripers, a 14" and a really fat feisty 17.5 on the crystal minnow. I was stand up paddling and casting around the island in about 1.5 to 2.5 foot of water, and it was really cool to watch fish go for the lure, a few bumps, but most would veer away at the last second. I think they would see some of the floating grass on the lure at the last instant. Around noon, the wind and tide were both against me, and I made the decision to start back...with a big smile on my face!
    Attached Files

Pretty fish, Gary. How nice was the rod?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
      Pretty fish, Gary. How nice was the rod?
      Very happy, nice long controlled casts, soft hook up, and plenty of backbone when called on.

Comment

Congrats Gary ............ really nice fish

Comment

Nice fish Gary. I hope to get over to the eastern shore sometime this summer. I will let you know when I am heading that way.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            Nice fish Gary. I hope to get over to the eastern shore sometime this summer. I will let you know when I am heading that way.
            Thanks John, I am going to press my luck (with the water clarity), and try again tomorrow morning. Look forward to having you come down, I still want to get up your way. I talked about making the trip this past spring, but got jammed with work.
            Gary

Comment

nice...I would have parked myself right where you caught that spec. They tend to bunch up in areas, so I would have bet you would have caught more.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyguy View Post
                nice...I would have parked myself right where you caught that spec. They tend to bunch up in areas, so I would have bet you would have caught more.
                Thanks, I was planning to stay there, I had a major treble hook snag in my net, and while I was dealing with that, a power boat can thur at full blast. Threw for five more minutes, and hit it on the way back with no luck. However, it is a def go back to in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X