Pohick Bay 6/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Bay 6/17

New yaker/poster here Name is Jacob from Fairfax. I am off Mon/Thurs/Sat so if the weather is nice and wind is low I am probably out.

I had a pretty nice day on the water. Slow start but eventually hooked into lots of nice bass, biggest was 4.75lbs (net pic) Did not see or catch any snakeheads today, however I hooked into my first one a couple days earlier on 6lb line here. Sadly I didn't have a net or fish grips at the time so I did not get it in the yak. It eventually got away as I foolishly tried to stab it in the head (the knife did nothing to the bony skull) but I have a video of the fight it put up, it was probably 7lbs if I had to try and guess.

100_0975.jpg100_0977.jpg100_0978.jpg100_0980.jpg100_0981.jpg100_0983.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYayP...ature=youtu.be

I don't know many places to launch out of for nice bass or snakeheads, so I am pretty much just fishing Pohick right now.
    Last edited by d16daily; 06-20-2013, 12:43 AM.
    Jake
    FeelFree Moken 12.5

Nice job on the large mouth. If your looking for places in the area to launch a kayak, give Occoquan park a try. It has direct access to the Occoquan river, which is mostly a no wake zone so its great for yaks and has plenty of docks and structure for fishing. It's is located on Rte 123, just a couple miles from Pohick Bay park.

Comment

Heyyy i'm the guy you met Sat. How did you do in that one area? Anyway I need to go back to Pohick again soon but not sure when. I'll be sure to hit you up next time I plan on going.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by d16daily View Post
        I don't know many places to launch out of for nice bass or snakeheads, so I am pretty much just fishing Pohick right now.
        Pohick has been phenomenal fishing the past few weeks. Occoquan is a little tougher to fish than around Pohick (IMO). You have several other places to launch from in the general vicinity too. If you have an android or iPhone search for Austin Kayak's "Launch Points" app in the app store. It will show you a lot (not all have been added) of launch in your general vicinity on the map.
        Jeff
        Life's Short, Fish Hard
        Malibu X-Factor
        Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Welcome Jacob! Nice job on the bass. I usually fish Pohick quite a bit. Except this year I'm on a smallmouth kick and have been fishing Riverbend. I tried Algonkian for the first time a couple weeks ago as well. Very different from Riverbend.

Here's a local map from the Occoquan Water Trail:

http://owlva.org/cms/water-trail/launch-sites

Comment

Hey dude, new yaker as well. Nice Job on the bass. A buddy and I have been going to roaches run it seems to have a good population of bass from what I've seen/caught/heard, and also a few snakeheads. We're planning on doing some more fishing there this weekend and possibly going to occoquan next weekend. I'll keep you posted!

Comment

I usually do Leesylvania, but I'll mix Pohick once a while as well. Aquia is also nice but it's a drive.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry I couldn't get to them sooner. I am off on Sat/Mon/Thurs so if it's nice out those are my yakin days.

Originally posted by Bob R View Post
                Nice job on the large mouth. If your looking for places in the area to launch a kayak, give Occoquan park a try. It has direct access to the Occoquan river, which is mostly a no wake zone so its great for yaks and has plenty of docks and structure for fishing. It's is located on Rte 123, just a couple miles from Pohick Bay park.
                Nice. I haven't been to Occoquan park yet but I launched out of Fountainhead twice so far. It was a lot water to cover and I had no idea where to go but I'm sure the fishing is great there.

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                Heyyy i'm the guy you met Sat. How did you do in that one area? Anyway I need to go back to Pohick again soon but not sure when. I'll be sure to hit you up next time I plan on going.
                Hey man, I did pretty good after you left. I worked my way back down and landed 5 nice bass 2-3lbs on the swimbait. I did a lot better on Monday when I explored the lilly pads more and went through the openings.

Originally posted by FishAholic929 View Post
                Pohick has been phenomenal fishing the past few weeks. Occoquan is a little tougher to fish than around Pohick (IMO). You have several other places to launch from in the general vicinity too. If you have an android or iPhone search for Austin Kayak's "Launch Points" app in the app store. It will show you a lot (not all have been added) of launch in your general vicinity on the map.
                I've only been to Fountainhead twice but I felt overwhelmed there, it was a lot of water and deep. As soon as I found the Pohick lilly pad area, I felt right at home. Water was pretty clear, shallow and I was basically sight fishing for nice bass and snakeheads! This is the definitely the kind of place I like. I just downloaded the app you mentioned so I will have that to play with.

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                Welcome Jacob! Nice job on the bass. I usually fish Pohick quite a bit. Except this year I'm on a smallmouth kick and have been fishing Riverbend. I tried Algonkian for the first time a couple weeks ago as well. Very different from Riverbend.

Here's a local map from the Occoquan Water Trail:

http://owlva.org/cms/water-trail/launch-sites
                I've heard good things about Riverbend and I love some smally action/ I will definitely be checking it out sometime. What are you catching them on? I usually throw plastics but I've caught a few smallies out of Hemlock.

also, that link you posted seems to have been hacked by "learners of curiosity"
                Last edited by d16daily; 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM.
                Jake
                FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

I've heard good things about Riverbend and I love some smally action/ I will definitely be checking it out sometime. What are you catching them on? I usually throw plastics but I've caught a few smallies out of Hemlock.
                  Mostly dark green tubes and Powerbait twistertails. The tube for a better grade of fish.

also, that link you posted seems to have been hacked by "learners of curiosity"
                  So it has. That is very unfortunate. It's a local non-profit conservation site. Hopefully they can get it fixed quickly.

Comment

Seems they have an alternate .net site:

http://www.watertrail.net/cms/water-...ater-trail-map

Comment

Working...
                    X