Pohick Bay 06-24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Bay 06-24

I went to Pohick Bay at the last minute, launch around 7:30 and fish till 9. I met d16daily and he told me that snakehead are very active on top water bait. So, I put on my trusty frog and start fishing. In less than 5 minutes, I hook up the first SH. It was about 5-6 lbs but it has a big fat belly so I let it go and continue on. Later on I hooked on my personal best, 12.2 lbs SH. It was the first time that a SH really give me trouble, but thanks to d16daily he help me landed the SH and took some pictures. It was the best fight I ever had. So, after some pictures, I revive the SH and let him on his way. After that I was pretty done for the day, then a SH came up right at my kayak (no more than 2 feet away from my seat). He came up for some air, saw me and swim away. I had such a blast today for such a short time. I will definitely hit Pohick bay a lot more often now.
    Attached Files

Beast! Nice job!

Comment

SWEEEET!!! Nice going Kahn!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
        I went to Pohick Bay at the last minute, launch around 7:30 and fish till 9. I met d16daily and he told me that snakehead are very active on top water bait. So, I put on my trusty frog and start fishing. In less than 5 minutes, I hook up the first SH. It was about 5-6 lbs but it has a big fat belly so I let it go and continue on. Later on I hooked on my personal best, 12.2 lbs SH. It was the first time that a SH really give me trouble, but thanks to d16daily he help me landed the SH and took some pictures. It was the best fight I ever had. So, after some pictures, I revive the SH and let him on his way. After that I was pretty done for the day, then a SH came up right at my kayak (no more than 2 feet away from my seat). He came up for some air, saw me and swim away. I had such a blast today for such a short time. I will definitely hit Pohick bay a lot more often now.
        Wow! That is a nice fat SH. You are gonna to show me how to catch them at Pohick dude, when are you going back?
        I'll PM you my #

Comment

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't release the SH that you catch! They have a kill order out on them, meaning if you hook 'em, you gotta take 'em out! Take them home and make a delicious meal out of them.
          Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonAngler View Post
            Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't release the SH that you catch! They have a kill order out on them, meaning if you hook 'em, you gotta take 'em out!
            Umm, no.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/snakehead-faq.asp

What should someone do if they think they've found a snakehead fish?

Before going fishing, anglers should familiarize themselves with the fish species found in Virginia. There are several native species including bowfin, lamprey, and American eel that look similar to the northern snakehead. For more information and assistance with learning the identifying differences between snakehead fish and native species, please see our "Do You Know The Difference?" information page. Any unusual fish needs to be reported to the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. We have established a snakehead hotline that anglers can use to report snakehead fish (804-367-2925). Anglers are not required to report snakeheads nor are they required to kill them if caught, but the Department asks that the fish be reported and killed if possible. However, if an angler wishes to keep a legally caught northern snakehead, the fish must be killed to be in possession, and the angler must call the hotline and report the angler's last name, date of catch, location of catch and size. Kill the fish by:

removing the head,
            separating the gill arches from the body, or
            removing the internal organs and put it on ice as quickly as possible.

Comment

Thats massive! can't wait to get my first one and its not going back fo sho

Comment

Thanks for the information LoudounFisher! I had assumed the MD rules would be shared by VA, but I was incorrect. After some digging, it appears that both states have decided that releasing Snakeheads is ok, which is a complete turn around from what the rules were not so long ago. Sorry for the misinformation/confusion!
                Fishing adds years to your life, and life to your years.

Comment

I think both states handle the fish a little differently. Personally, I love the fish. I love fishing for them and I love eating them. I know it is an invasive but I think it won't be long until it become a game fish. Plus I go by a simple rule, if I'm gonna eat it then I'll kill it otherwise I'll release it. And I usually let the pregnant one go because believe it or not, there are not that many around comparing to LM bass. Once you start targeting them, you'll see. And I much prefer to catch a SH than a bass, a much better fight and the bonus of tossing it on the grill.

Comment

Nicely said bro

I think both states handle the fish a little differently. Personally, I love the fish. I love fishing for them and I love eating them. I know it is an invasive but I think it won't be long until it become a game fish. Plus I go by a simple rule, if I'm gonna eat it then I'll kill it otherwise I'll release it. And I usually let the pregnant one go because believe it or not, there are not that many around comparing to LM bass. Once you start targeting them, you'll see. And I much prefer to catch a SH than a bass, a much better fight and the bonus of tossing it on the grill.
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

if my understanding of DNR's link is correct, SH should be killed.

with due respect, law is law ...

Comment

Working...
                      X