Pohick Bay 6/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Bay 6/30

Met up with Rockchaser and Redfish12 for some snakehead. Launched around 7:45am right after low tide.

It was a really slow day, probably because of the snakehead tournament yesterday and through the night. Last time I was out, I couldn't get in the groove of this type of "bass" fishing. I haven't fished for bass in a while but today I decided to get back into what used to always work for me. Weightless Texas Rigged Senkos (and finness worms) on a Gamakatsu G-Lock Work hook (5/0). This time I was feeling the bottom and feeling the worm go through the weeds and finally landed my first Snakehead! It happened so fast, I didn't even realize that I achieved a goal I set out this year. I looked at Jimmy after 5 minutes from landing the fish and I was like "Dude! I just caught a snakehead!" It hadn't hit me until that point!

The rest of the day was really slow with hard rain on and off. I managed two pesky LMB (about 13"-14") back to back right when we were getting ready to leave around 2pm.

The Snakehead hit the green pumpkin with red speckles (BPS brand). I only had one on me that I lost. I then started using the baby bass with chartreuse tail (BPS brand). The bass hit that like mad! Chased it right to the kayak.

Here are some pics that Jimmy took and the one I took of the SH on the measuring board... Jimmy got a sweet rain shot!

100_1316.jpg100_1317.jpgIMAG0581.jpg100_1320.jpg

I really wanted to Masgouf my first Snakehead but the weather was soo finicky I wasn't sure if it was going to pour while I was Masgoufing it (the whole roasting process takes close to an hour, with 30-45 minutes of actual roasting time). So I decided to fillet it and grill it. OMG it's such a tasty fish!!

I did split the head just for the sake of practice and its manageable if you have a very sharp stiff knife (like a carving knife). If you pierce the knife straight down the skull, it'll go through, then move the knife down and pierce again, and again until you go down the whole skull. Then it's easy to cut the skull open and spread it. Next Snakehead will definitely be Masgoufed!
    Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 06-30-2013, 08:31 PM.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Congrats on your first snakehead

Comment

Good Job on your First SnakeHead! I still need to catch my first. I have not targeted them yet, but I will soon. You got any pics of your rigged lures?

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
        Good Job on your First SnakeHead! I still need to catch my first. I have not targeted them yet, but I will soon. You got any pics of your rigged lures?
        Here is the setup with the color that the bass were hitting on:
        20130703_130748.jpg20130703_130819.jpg

And here is the color that the snakehead hit on:
        20130703_131314.jpg
        Attached Files
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks Mustafa, that was a big help an informative for Snaggedline University.

Comment

Working...
          X