Anyone Fishing Friday the 5th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Fishing Friday the 5th?

I'm thinking about heading out somewhere. Maybe pohick since I've done so good there the past month and a half. Still want to catch a nice snakehead, and I know where they hide there, just haven't been able to entice one to my lure.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

I'm thinking about it. Maybe Upper P if the rain doesn't blow it out. Could do lower P. I've yet to catch a snakehead. Do you need a Va license for Pohick or is the Repicprocal Potomac deal apply for the Potomac there? I like Mattawoman but it's a haul for me as there's no quick way to get there from Rockville area. I fish Lower P out of Belle Haven pretty frequently, but heard that area's been tough lately.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Yes, it is reciprocal - Pohick Creek: Rt. 611 (Colchester Road) (...I've slayed them at Pohick the last 3 times out, not sure what this rain is gonna do to the river though...I'm hoping at least the creek is at least cleared up by friday. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...eciprocity.asp
      Jeff
      Life's Short, Fish Hard
      Malibu X-Factor
      Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

I need to get out and try the pohick area soon, I hear so many good things about it. So, are you launching out of the pohick park?

Is there much pressure from boats back in the bay or in the creek. I found one map with depth's on the bay and it looks to be pretty shallow for most of the stuff above the boat launch.
        WS ATAK

Comment

Boats for the most part can't get back into the creek at low tide. Unfortunately high tide is going to be about the time I launch on friday, so it'll be my first time back in there at high. I know I've had to drag my kayak across the flat in front of the creek before just to get back in there. There is a channel, if you wanna paddle around and find it And yes, I launch at the Cartop launch at Pohick Bay Regional Park.
          Jeff
          Life's Short, Fish Hard
          Malibu X-Factor
          Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

I should also say, that the only boats I've seen back in the creek when i've come out at high tide are people bow fishing for Snakeheads.
            Jeff
            Life's Short, Fish Hard
            Malibu X-Factor
            Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Thanks for the information Jeff. I might have to get out there and try it this weekend. The high tide will be a little later then Friday, but will probably still allow some boats back there. Hopefully there aren't an insane amount of boats fishing in there this weekend.
              WS ATAK

Comment

Friday does look nice weather-wise. What time were you thinking of launching? I can probably fish in the morning until about 2pm...
                Last edited by d16daily; 07-04-2013, 01:05 AM.
                Jake
                FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

I like to be at the launch right around sunrise....which on friday will be 5:50am
                  Jeff
                  Life's Short, Fish Hard
                  Malibu X-Factor
                  Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Dang, that might be a little early for me. I work nights at a restaurant, not much of a morning person.
                    Jake
                    FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

Show up when you show up Do you carry VHF? I have mine just about every time I'm out on water where there are power boats that might have theirs as well. Otherwise you can just look for the guy in the ugly painted blue Malibu X-Factor, I'll more than likely be back up in the creek. I'll be with my buddy on his maiden voyage on his Big Tuna...
                      Jeff
                      Life's Short, Fish Hard
                      Malibu X-Factor
                      Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

I wish I can join you guys but I'm working in the morning. Let me know how you do up in the creek, I always want to go up there but every time I get lazy and fish closer.

Btw, leave me some snakeheads. I'll probably come after work around 6pm
                        Last edited by Snakehead Hunter; 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Any luck today? I was thinking about heading to police this weekend and trying it for the first time. I am curious how clean the water is there with all the rain lately.
                          WS ATAK

Comment

Water is clean. I went there for couple hours after work and met like 5 yakers. I got a perfect eating size snakehead, so I went home happy

Comment

Sorry for the late resport, but it has been a busy weekend. I had to take my wife to meed the breeder of her Mother's Day/Birthday Present yesterday and was gone most of the day....but that is another story. I was at the launch at 5:40am and my buddy showed up right around 6am. We got both yaks in the water and headed out. Wouldn't you know....launching at high tide sucks...I followed some boater back up in here...Nothing like running an outboard and spooking all the through the whole creek. We finally got to a section of the creek the boaters can't get too easily and started fishing. It was very slow. I tried buzzbaits, frogs, swim jigs, worms, rage tail toads and chatter baits with only a couple bites on the worms. (Finesse and Wacky rigged). My buddy got a few blows ups on his Frog (KVD Sexy Frog I think) but he's new to fishing and missed both hooksets. I saw a couple snakeheads back in the creek, even had one swim around my frog but decided it didn't want it. The water was pretty muddy until the tide really started moving out, that seemed to clear it up a lot. Didn't see the #'s of carp that I've been seeing back in there lately. I've decided, no creek fishing for me unless I can launch at low tide so I don't have to follow boaters back into nice quiet water. Here are a few pics of my buddy and his maiden voyage on his Jackson Big Tuna.

IMG_0002.jpgIMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpgIMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpg
                              Jeff
                              Life's Short, Fish Hard
                              Malibu X-Factor
                              Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Working...
                              X