Some advice for a fish outta water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice for a fish outta water

Headed to Currioman Bay this weekend to visit family. They live right on the water and have a small dock. Being mainly a freshwater fisherman I was hoping to just get a tip or two. I wont have a ton of time to fish, probably eve and morn for a few hours, but I know I will come up empty if I approach it like I'm small mouth fishing in the Potomac. I can surf fish and river fish with the best of them but I really dont know where to start in an area like this. Live/cut bait? Artificial bait? Should I hug the shoreline or be in search of a certain depth? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about this bay but will assume its inshore.??? 3 inch grubs on jig heads, xraps or smaller spinners would be where I would start if you want to use artificials. Crawlers, minnows or blood worms if you want to soak bait. If you are using the kayak try and troll around a little with the xrap or jighead/soft plastic combination and watch for current/depth changes/ grass and target the edges. More water to cover than being in a lake or river but the fish are still relating to the same stuff. Go get 'um

Comment

Poolz1,

My fishing experience is also largely fresh water. I’ve caught hundreds of smallmouth with poppers and streamers on a fly rod while wading the upper Potomac and Susquehanna. Tidal fishing is somewhat new to me but I’ve found that reading currents and structure like I do in the rivers works in the Bay and its tributaries.

I don’t know the area you are visiting but presumably it has piers and riprap along the shoreline. Structures that project into the water and deflect the current of the outgoing or incoming tide are good bets to hold fish. Generally fish will be facing the current behind the structure seeking shelter from the flow and waiting to ambush bait that floats by. If you have a fish finder the same principle holds on humps and rises on the bottom.

You cannot go wrong casting the baits Chimo suggested to structure near the shore. Or you can troll them in deeper water. I’m partial to bright colors like chartreuse or metallic blue on my tidal lures as opposed to the darker more natural colors I use in fresh water.

Have a great trip.

Mark
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This is right above nomini bay. This area is white perch central. Ultralight rod with a kastmaster 1/8th or 1/12 oz in gold or silver jigged around docks or rock piles will produce large numbers of 8-10" white perch. There are some locations with drop offs and or deeper water structure that hold rockfish, redfish and croaker depending on the time of year. Bluecats also are fairly common.

Rock, reds and croaker all like 1/4 oz jighead with a white or green 4" swimming mullet gulp. Cast or jig are both effective.

Hope this helps.

Meadeo
        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Tips are much appreciated. I did not see them in time for our trip but had good success nonetheless. I fished like I was fishing for smallmouth and lit it up with the white perch and croakers. Nothing huge but a lot of fun on a light action rod. Caught maybe 25 perch and 15 croaker. All caught on the same lime/white spinnerbait. Not sure if it was coincidence but a few hours before low tide seem to be when they were really hitting. Largest was a 1lb 12oz perch.

Comment

That is a nice perch man
            2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Working...
            X