Potomac Snakehead July 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac Snakehead July 6

I went fishing for couple hours after work. I caught a small one about 5-6 lbs. I had to let that one go since I got a big fat belly like it's about to pop. I continue on and caught another big one 9 1/2 lbs. When I get back to shore and pull out the fish to cut its gills, some people come over and check out the fish. There were a bunch of kids that are pretty happy to see a franken fish that they only see from TV before.

As a courtesy to a friend, I'm not gonna post the specific location anymore. We tend to fish together and he does not want to burn the spot. I will say that it is less than 1 hour drive from Woodbridge, VA.
    Attached Files

I need to fish with you guys....Asian Anglerz gotta unite lol
    Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
    Asian Anglerz
    TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
      I caught a small one about 5-6 lbs. I had to let that one go since I got a big fat belly like it's about to pop.
      I thought they were supposed to be killed 100% of the time?
      Jeff
      Life's Short, Fish Hard
      Malibu X-Factor
      Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Anglers are not required to report snakeheads nor are they required to kill them if caught, but the Department asks that the fish be reported and killed if possible. However, if an angler wishes to keep a legally caught northern snakehead, the fish must be killed to be in possession, and the angler must call the hotline and report the angler's last name, date of catch, location of catch and size. Kill the fish by
        From the Virginia DNR Website.

Meadeo
        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Yea, definitely not required to kill them if caught and released. However you cannot transport a live one, so if it's in your cooler or you are taking it home it has to be dead.

I personally don't kill them unless I am going to eat it, seems like a waste. They are not ruining the ecosystem, there is enough space for them in the Potomac, bass fishing has been phenomenal, and they are tons of fun to catch!
          Jake
          FeelFree Moken 12.5

Comment

Working...
          X