Pohick Bay Report 7/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pohick Bay Report 7/7

I launched at 10:00 am and fished till 6:20 before I made my way back. I spent most of the day fishing in the back creeks and the water was for the most part clear.

I was targeting snakehead but didn't catch any and had a tough time catching any fish. I did not land one until around 4:00 pm. 3 were caught on a worm and one caught topwater. All were small.

I still need to learn the finer points of fishing with artificials but learned a lot today. Anyway here are some pictures.

P7070003.jpgP7070004.jpgP7070005.jpgP7070006.jpgP7070007.jpg
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Nice, I wore the stripe out there on the 5th!! Glad to see they are still around.
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

It was nice meeting you today. Snakehead is not as plentiful as we might think and it can be quite picky as well. It's the reason I don't keep the pregnant and baby one. Anything between 4-10 lbs are fair game, over 10 lbs I like to save them for trophy unless I'm desperate haha.

Comment

I managed a 27 incher right before the storm yesterday.
        Hobie Outback
        WS Tarpon
        IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

It was nice meeting you also and we need to fish together sometime down the road. I was wondering if you got back before the storm it looked pretty rough.

I think the problem is, is that the majority of the snakehead are lying deep in the pads where we can't get to them although they are picky.

I think I might go again next weekend
          Last edited by M_Duong60; 07-08-2013, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I managed to miss several very aggressive snake heads again yesterday before the storm.. I think i need to finally switch to braid. as i went 0 for 8 over the weekend on snake heads. ILV2F5H snake head was beefy.

Meadeo
            2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

How would braid make a difference? just asking because I know it is no stretch but don't know how it would help top water because one you can see the strike and i thought you were supposed to wait a bit before you set the hook. Cause I might have to switch as well then.

Comment

It helps to penetrate snakehead very tough upper jaw so they can't shake off the hook.

Comment

Braid also helps when you're fishing thick vegetation. Use at least 30 lb. I know folks that use 50 or even 65lb for snakies and bass when fishing for them in cover.
                  Hobie Outback
                  WS Tarpon
                  IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Nice fish! At least you didn't get skunked. After the last couple of reports I'm thinking I didn't go far enough back in the creeks when I was there. I guess I'll have to paddle back further to get to the areas where others are catching fish. Did the low tide make a difference fishing there?
                    WS ATAK

Comment

at some parts (if you choose to go into a branch of the creek) and other parts where it does drag bottom but you can fish it during low tide quite easily IMO.

As for fishing I didn't notice any difference.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'll have to get over there again at some point and try it out.
                        WS ATAK

Comment

Originally posted by volboy23 View Post
                          Thanks for the information. I'll have to get over there again at some point and try it out.
                          Volboy i was the other guy with the ride 135 pulling out right before you.

Meadeo

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
                            Volboy i was the other guy with the ride 135 pulling out right before you.

Meadeo
                            We're you out there early Saturday? I saw a guy with a canoe in front if me with a trolling motor.
                            WS ATAK

Comment

Originally posted by volboy23 View Post
                              We're you out there early Saturday? I saw a guy with a canoe in front if me with a trolling motor.
                              Nope in the afternoon guess i figured you were the other ride 135 guy i bumped into.

Meadeo

Comment

Working...
                              X