Shenandoah 8/3-8/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shenandoah 8/3-8/5

Was given the option of swapping an IOU spa weekend out for a weekend of camping and kayaking by the girlfriend, needless to say it wasn't a very hard decision Made last minute reservations with Downriver Outfitters for a campsite and a kayak/shuttle service on the South Fork of the Shenandoah and made the run out to Bentonville / Front Royal on Saturday morning. Had some light rain on Saturday but otherwise the weather was great. Fishing was basically as expected with a couple exceptions. Lots and lots of smallies 3-12 inches, plenty of warmouth and sunfish, a couple rockbass and some surprise (to me) largemouth and fallfish. Fished the slow moving pools, the riffles and everything in between and caught fish in them all. Started out throwing a teeny torpedo and a senko, moved on to a bettle spin then a finesse worm on a pegged texas rig and caught fish on them all. Best fish actually came on live crayfish drifted through a deep run. The water was pretty clear with visibility to about 7ft. Gave me lots of chances to see what was hanging around. Saw plenty of channel cats hanging around, and a few largemouth (5lbs) and smallmouth(20iches) that were much bigger than I expected. Even a muskie/pike/pickeral of about 15 inches. Went there with a hope of catching a 15 inch smallie and just managed that but was slightly disappointed after I missed some bigger smallies and saw that pig lm hanging around. Anyways, a great trip and here are a few pics!

15.5 inch smallie

Early morning fish with some pretty nice scenery

Chunky LM

Rocky

Fallfish

I'm a HUGE fan of the Shenandoah, I've been fishing it for almost 3 decades now. With that said, I DESPISE fishing the South Fork on a Sat.....Looks like you did ok though. How was the canoe/kayak traffic on the river?
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Lots of kayaks/canoes/tubes but I got the feeling it wasn't as busy as it could have been. Fish still were biting all day despite the traffic

Comment

Nice pics ! That's a nice stretch. Been a few years since I've floated it. Used the same outfitters many times in a canoe . Now having the kayak bug, need to get back. Heading to WV. this weekend to wade the South Branch of the Potomac. I like using Torpedos in the morning . There, if you don't catch a fallfish is a surprise.
        John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Working...
        X