CBBT (& va beach area) 8/26-8/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT (& va beach area) 8/26-8/29

For Mytmouse's 30th bday celebration, we took a kayak fishing road trip. The plan was to head down to the Outer Banks, NC, and work our way back north...kayak fishing over the course of a couple of days. With the weather (wind) forecast), we opted to stay in the Virginia Beach area. We hit the road around 11:45 sunday night, and fished the CBBT the next morning.

The plan was to fish for spades and sheepshead. We fished with clam, and fiddlers. We worked a ton of plyons from the shore, all the way to the first island. From the launch, 1st island doesn't look THAT far. But once we started heading out, and fishing along the way, we began to realize what a journey it is. Luckily we had light current, no chop, and calm winds. Could not have asked for better conditions for this location.

To make a long story short, we didn't catch the targeted species. We saw one sheepie caught by a boat, but not much else for that species. I caught a bunch of nice croaker, 13"+ (10 came home with me). I caught my NEW PERSONAL BEST fish from the kayak, a 27" black drum. This came as a surprise, as I did not even have this species on my radar.

We fished every day of the week in the Va Beach area. It was a blast! We had a nice "base camp" set up in norfolk, at the house of a friend of Mytmouse. It was good having a home to retire to whic allowed us to relax, shower, do laundry, fillet fish, etc. We ended the expedition with a boat trip on the lower eastern shore of VA. Our trip was too long to bore you with great detail of every day, but the list of species caught between us were:

-Black drum
    -Striper
    -Croaker
    -spot
    -flounder
    -speckled trout
    -red/puppy drum
    -grey trout (weakfish)
    -kingfish/whiting/mullet

What a trip!
    <insert witty comment here>

A few pics.

pic_11.jpgpic6.jpgpic5.jpgpic4.jpgpic3.jpgpic2.jpgpic1.jpgpic_12.JPGpic_10.jpgpic7.jpg

Working on a vid...

Comment

pic9.jpg

Comment

Whew my black drum record is still alive How was the fight?

Any keeper flounders?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
          Whew my black drum record is still alive How was the fight?

Any keeper flounders?
          LOL the first thing I did that night was check the leader board. You got me beat by a bit! The fight was awesome! I got it all on vid. It was so unexpedted after catching croaker. This was my first big fight from a fish on the kayak. My reaction in the vid makes that pretty evident LOL!!

No keeper flatties, unfortunately. Tons of mauled gulp with tail bite offs.

Comment

Nice black drum! and all those other fish... what a medley.

Yeah, funny how 1st island never seems to get any closer as you struggle to get there.

Happy bday Mytmouse!
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice! Looks like it makes 28" to me!
              I feel dizzy
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

My bad! rotated the pics...

pic_11.jpgpic6.jpgpic5.jpgpic4.jpgpic3.jpgpic2.jpgpic1.jpgpic_12.JPGpic_10.jpgpic7.jpg

Comment

pic9.jpgpic8.jpg

Comment

I was gonna say. Those upside pics were making my neck creek....lol....

Anyway, Happy Bday, MTYM! Looks like you got a nice present - fishing all day with buddies.

MM, was the drum tasty? I heard big drum is not good table fare.

Thanks for the report.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik,

The drum was released for you to go catch after he grows some more. I went to the tackle shop and showed them my pic, and they told me that that size is good eating. Bigger than that, they are said to taste bad.

We saw HUGE drum tailing at the first island. We tossed crabs at them. They looked, but didn't bite. We had bridge workers who acted as spotters to point them out to us. They gave us the play by play after casting our bait. That was pretty cool.

On the drive back up Rt 13, we had our first soft shell crab experience. One word: DELICIOUS!!!

soft.jpg

After our boat trip, we met a commercial crabber. He gave me 4 nice soft shell crabs. I will be frying them up tonight!!
                      Last edited by MetroMan; 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I had soft shell crab once, and yeah, it was awesome.

Was hoping you guys caught sheepies, which would be a good sign because I was thinking of going to CBBT next weekend just for that. Hmmmmmm......black drum may not be bad enticement, especially small eatable keepers.
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I fought my drum for like 20 minutes while yelling at Tufnik to come over. Best fight I had so far. It's where I knew my GL3 rod could handle anything at the CBBT.
                          Those things are slimy though. I felt like the ghostbusters after that.

Comment

Thanks for the birthday wishes Tufnik!! We had a blast out there!! I just wish I could habe crossed 2 new species off my list (Sheepshead and Spades). We did see one boater pull up a Sheepie, I can't tell you if it was a keeper but they got it in the boat. I can't wait to get back down there!!

Hokie, he didn't scream for 20 minutes... but there was surely some screaming going on!!! Lol

Comment

Great job on catching all those species - especially the black drum. I have been fishing the lower eastern shore for the past few days and did not have much to brag about until yesterday. Another guy and I caught 4 reds in the 20-22" range yesterday near Fishermans Island. We were casting Gulps on jigheads and redfish magic lures. We took one bag of fillets to a local restaurant last night. They prepared an excellent meal for us.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X