Rigs for Sheepie and Spade at CBBT???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish,
    Sorry for the late reply. I was super busy.

Reels:
    First of all, if you are planning to fish less that 10 times (CHSP), 10# drag is fine because you will be in the shallow water with less weight (up to oz sinker). If you already have a bait casting reel, add 100'+ of 40-50# test braided for 10 trips. you will cut off 10' of braided line before you go fishing

The same goes to Kipto fishing most of the time . But at Kipto, you need 5oz sinkers sometimes when the current is strong

CBBT is a little different. I never used more than 6OZ sinker. But some of our members used 8oz sinker. You will be fine with reels with 10# drag most of the time. It also depends on your skill level when fishing bridge columns. for example, Tufnik can stay right at the bridge columns for 2 minutes using 3oz sinker. On the other hand, I use 4-5oz sinker to drop rig fast vertically because I can't maintain the position right at the column.

At the First Island (CBBT) rock pile I used 3oz sinker - it is similar to CHSP fishing

People drive Toyota and Honda. Some people drive Lexus or Acura.

It all depends on you priority. You can buy $100 reel or $200 reel base on your usage. For 40# stripers you can use $50 reel. But for tog, trigger fish, sheepie, those structure dwelling species, you need, I think, $100 + reels. I think $100 reel is OK If you fish for them less than 10 times a year. Good reel is necessary not just because of the fish, but it is the weight of sinker, how you set the hook, and a bunch of hangups that result in cutting the lines.

I am testing Honda of reels. I only buy left hand model:

Pflueger® Supreme Baitcasting Reels - I just ordered. and I will put this on Shimano Trevala S and test this in this fall and next spring
    SUP64LHLPX ($99.99) 20lb max drag (Basspro) but Dick's website states 26lb max drag - I think its a typo

Abu Garcia® Revo® S Baitcast Reels I used it in spring and Summer this year. This passed my testing as tog reel
    RVO3 S-L - $129.99 , 20lb max drag

I don't think I can break BassPro Muskie Rods I mentioned. I will use them if I don't have tennis elbow (tendonitis) for over 10 years.
    I did broke a rod and two reels when tog fishing - But they weren't made for this type of fishing

If you can wait, please wait. I will post my review on these $100-150 reels

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-16-2013, 09:11 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Comeonfish,

Thanks for the help.
      Looking into the trevala, I just had one question.
      What is the main difference between the trevala and the trevala s? The trevala s seems to be 50 more dollars than the trevala. Is this worth it?

Thanks,
      Steve
      Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
        Comeonfish,

Thanks for the help.
        Looking into the trevala, I just had one question.
        What is the main difference between the trevala and the trevala s? The trevala s seems to be 50 more dollars than the trevala. Is this worth it?

Thanks,
        Steve
        I had the same the same question. It think the major differences is constructions of the rods. I think S is lighter than others for Kayak use - meaning setting hook with one hand is possible while the other hand is pushing against rocks/bridge column, and paddling. Also, you can cast lures with S for other species better than other rods.

I think I buy BassPro rod (I mentioned perviously) instead of other Travela.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I am just thinking about buying the trevala s with some gift cards for bass pro I got from work. I felt a trevala s spinning rod at bass pro and it was great! I has a lifetime warranty so that is drawing me toward it.
          Also going to buy the revo s left hand for it. Hopefully this will be my go to rod for a long time.

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
          I had the same the same question. It think the major differences is constructions of the rods. I think S is lighter than others for Kayak use - meaning setting hook with one hand is possible while the other hand is pushing against rocks/bridge column, and paddling. Also, you can cast lures with S for other species better than other rods.

I think I buy BassPro rod (I mentioned perviously) instead of other Travela.

Joe
          Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I handled both trevelas at a tackle shop. The S is noticeably lighter, which is great for all day fishing. I would buy the S because when you fish for hours holding a rod/reel, light combos make a big difference. Both rods, I'm talking about the casting rod, have long handles. Some guys cut off the handle to shorten it.

I've never used the S, but it doesn't seem like it's a good casting rod. It's 6 '3", and designed for jigging.

Many guys have the S and love it. Some guys consider it their "tog rod." I personally think you can get good rods (for tog, for bottom-fishing, for jigging, etc.) at much cheaper prices.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Fish,
              I broke a Shimano Cardif 300A during the third tog fishing. Luckily, Basspro got me full credit for the broken reel. I think 400A comes with the same parts except the parts to accommodate the longer spool for more line capacity.
              Shimano Cardif 300A was the first Rob Choi's tog reel. But he didn't break the reel. I think he uses heavy duty reels now

Revo S is OK. But Lexa 300 will be the best reel I think if you can afford.

Anyway, I received both Trevala S and Pflueger® Supreme Baitcasting Reels (SUP64LHLPX ($99.99) 20lb max drag). I am going to spool 50# test braided on the reel and hit CHSP, CBBT, or Kipto. There was no reviews for the reel on the web yet. I think it is a new model in 2012-2013

I hope this low priced reel (Pflueger) survives. I will know the quality of the reel in January next year if the reel survives that long and togs still hang around in January.

Joe

Comment

I think a big thing that helps to prolong the life of the bc's is to not push the spool release down when there is a lot of weight/strain on the line. If you roll the spool back before disengaging then your thumb holds the weight and there is less pressure on the reel. If you can afford the extra $50, the lexa 300 hspl is a great reel for tog fishing!

I used the regular version of the trevala for a few years before going to the S, it is also sensitive, but not a light or as sensitive as the S. It is also a little bulkier.

If anyone wants a cheaper tog rod I purchased that Fenwick rod from FFO last year as a backup/guest rod and I have never used it. I paid $55 if anyone would like it. It's similar to the BPS rods but has better guides, a little more action in the tip, longer butt section so you can put it in your armpit, and seems to be in overall better construction than the bps ones.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  I handled both trevelas at a tackle shop. The S is noticeably lighter, which is great for all day fishing. I would buy the S because when you fish for hours holding a rod/reel, light combos make a big difference. Both rods, I'm talking about the casting rod, have long handles. Some guys cut off the handle to shorten it.

I've never used the S, but it doesn't seem like it's a good casting rod. It's 6 '3", and designed for jigging.

Many guys have the S and love it. Some guys consider it their "tog rod." I personally think you can get good rods (for tog, for bottom-fishing, for jigging, etc.) at much cheaper prices.
                  I bought the S for all day fishing. A light rod and reel combo makes a huge difference because I have tendonitis on my elbows.

I am not cutting the handle. I like a long handle tucked between my arm and ribs for one-hand hook set.

You are right. The S is not for casting normal lighter jigs or lures. I think the lure or jig weight should be 3/4oz at least for the S for decent casting. It was 1oz for the Basspro muskie rod. So the S will be OK for stripers or bigger fish in deeper water (15'+), such as Bay Bridge and CBBT. The S will be good for bottom fishing for big catfish. You need to carry a casting rod when you fish for other species or shallow water.

Yes, you don't need high end rods for togging. I saw many kayak anglers togging with boat trolling rods and trolling reels. Sometimes, I felt I have changed a lot. My being fish with/communicating with Wash Metro area anglers, changed me a lot. I think we have extra money. I think, I forgot the pure joy of fishing when fishing with a bamboo stick, a string, a hook, and a worm I dug to catch. The small fish were actual necessary dinner when I grew up.

Perhaps, I shouldn't watch fishing shows any more. Fishing shows made me buy more stuff.

I am holding my first grand son, and I am thinking fishing with him with a Zepco 201. Perhaps I go back to the basic fishing...

Well, I can do that after I get an Outback, a new fish finder with GPS, and one more rod and reel combo. I am spoiled, and I will spoil my first grand son.

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-23-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I'm fishing CHSP and OC for tog on the 12th and 13th of October...was anyone else thinking of going or is it still a little too warm?
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I think the water will be cold enough for a good number of togs in the mid-October.
                      I am trying to hit CHSP on Sun, Sep 28. I will let you know if the water cooled down bit for few tog bites, or too cold for trigger fish

joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-24-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Coastal water temp along Lewes now is about 66 deg. I think you'll get bites, but when it drops below 60, tog bites will really improve. I guess trigger bites lessen.
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Solid report from a friend who resides in OC.
                          Keeper togs were caught on OC rt50 bridge and under sizes 14"-15" from the inlet. He adds always starts from the bridge and inlet and other near structures.
                          if they are biting in OC their in DE.
                          Happy togging season!!
                          2012 Red Outback
                          2015 Blue Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X