No announcement yet.

CBBT Sat 10-19-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was amazed that the wind died down completely by the time I got to ft monroe yesterday evening. It was almost glassy. I talked to a few other people and nobody seemed to be catching anything. I only caught small croaker.

Also...I got to talk to the 'angling addict' for a minute when I was at rudee. I wasn't sure it was him at first, but I realized it definitely was him after reading his latest blog entry. I love reading his blog. Told me he caught a trout trolling a small white grub. Turns out I was trolling the exact same thing he caught the trout on, but unfortunately I didn't have the luck he had. I should have tried for some spot over there. Heading back down this weekend if weather is good. Hope to try the cbbt and/or kiptopeke this time if it is relatively calm.
    Last edited by JohnE; 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Here is the video log

Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I memorized the stain pattern on that piling so I can fish that same piling next time....
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

That water laid down nicely..... Too bad it was so bad earlier.
          Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
          WS Ride 115 Mango
          WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by KenY View Post
            That water laid down nicely..... Too bad it was so bad earlier.
            Yes it got better after 8 hours into it, and after two pit-stop

Joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
              For a moment I thought about Unagi rolls but then those are fresh water kind. I'm not sure how salt tasted since I don't know what they eat but he loved my blue crabs. Besides, it was big. 36" was a conservative eyeball. So I evicted him from the hole and let him go a couple pilings down.
              I'm pretty sure they are the same kind of eel, just spend some time in fresh and some time in salt.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice vid, what is the third fish in the video?
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

That's actually a Conger Eel, not the American Eel that I think most folks are talking about. Congers get very big (~80 lbs) in some circumstances. I've caught juveniles in the back bays on the Maryland Coast. Congers range all the way up and down the Atlantic Coast in my experience. I have no idea whether they're decent table fare.

The American Eels spawn in saltwater (Sargasso Sea), then the juveniles make their way back up into tributaries and freshwater.

Great Catch!
                  Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

How can you tell the difference? There's also an American conger eel.....go figure.

Anyway, don't get your face too close to it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am referring to the American Conger Eel, I apologize.

The American Eel doesn't grow nearly as large (~4 ft and ~15 lbs on the upper end). The head shape is different; more dorsally flattened on a Conger Eel, the gap between the Dorsal and Anal fins on the Conger Eel is more pronounced as well, the lower Jaw on the American Eel protrudes more as well. Here's a decent comparison picture:eels_compared.jpg

The face/mouth/head region looks much smaller in person on an American Eel in my opinion. american-eel.jpg

*both images pulled from the web, I don't have great personal pictures of either species*
                      Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

I've caught many small ones, and thought they were American eels because that's what's shown on DNR fish regs. Now I know better. Thanks. Maybe I'll make sashimi one day...lol....

Comment

Wow, I didn't know we had Conger's in our waters!

Well, if its good enough for Gordon Ramsay:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbbn6xBR1Ks
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

I don't remember it looking like that. The bite was different from what the guy on the boat said too. I felt no bites. Just the line getting tight as I lifted. It didn't have head shakes either. Just pure straight down force. It sure felt like a big tog at first but then when you begin to reel it in, i knew it wasn't a tog.

I'll give it to Tufnik next time for his wife to cook it and let us know if it tastes good

Comment

..ha...ha.....I would like it more if it came to me already cleaned of all slime, skinned and filleted.

Comment

Working...
                              X