No announcement yet.

Wilson Bridge 11/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest I've got spooled on any of the rods I use on my kayak is 30 pound braid, and I generally use 20 or lighter most of the time. I guess I could use one of my boat rods--I don't need to cast for cats on the bottom. I've got a couple heavy action rods and level-wind reels that I hardly ever use, might as well try them I guess.

You've got me excited about catching a river monster. Did you send in for a citation on that cat? Is it considered DC, VA, or MD waters if the launch is under the bridge? DC is supposed to be north of the bridge, so I guess it is Va still?

Are most of the catfish you catch there blue catfish? I was reading that they are an invasive species in the Potomac and, like the snakehead, should be destroyed when caught--and are illegal to transport live. Also, like the snakehead, smaller blues should be pretty good eating because they grow so fast that they don't absorb the pcbs and stuff from that nasty water.

Also, do you anchor by the bridge when you're fishing there?

I assume the 8/0 circle hook on fishfinder rig that I use for drum and big stripers would be good enough. Have you tried big chunks of cut fish for bait, or usually just chicken?
    Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

30 pound should be fine. I have one rod with 50 and one with 30. As far as anchoring, there is a lot of crap on the bottom to snag on.
      I use chicken but a lot of guys use cut shad.
      The bridge north is DC waters. I have only been checked by Va DNR once but the DC license is only $13.00 for the year.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

DC Police are active. I believe you also need a safe boating cert to operate in DC waters. This includes paddled craft like Canoes, and Kayaks.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
          Biggest I've got spooled on any of the rods I use on my kayak is 30 pound braid, and I generally use 20 or lighter most of the time. I guess I could use one of my boat rods--I don't need to cast for cats on the bottom. I've got a couple heavy action rods and level-wind reels that I hardly ever use, might as well try them I guess.

You've got me excited about catching a river monster. Did you send in for a citation on that cat? Is it considered DC, VA, or MD waters if the launch is under the bridge? DC is supposed to be north of the bridge, so I guess it is Va still?

Are most of the catfish you catch there blue catfish? I was reading that they are an invasive species in the Potomac and, like the snakehead, should be destroyed when caught--and are illegal to transport live. Also, like the snakehead, smaller blues should be pretty good eating because they grow so fast that they don't absorb the pcbs and stuff from that nasty water.

Also, do you anchor by the bridge when you're fishing there?

I assume the 8/0 circle hook on fishfinder rig that I use for drum and big stripers would be good enough. Have you tried big chunks of cut fish for bait, or usually just chicken?
          Sorry for all the questions.
          Thanks to Jimmy, I have fished there twice. You are right, the first time in the kayak from that drop off the ramp is a little un nerving, but once you do it, it is not bad. I used 20 to 30 pound braided line with a 30 pound leader setup as a fish finder rig and I caught many nice cats. I used a heavier, stiffer rod to hunt for the bigger cats. My largest here was 38 inches in length. A blue cat caught using raw chicken tenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
            DC Police are active. I believe you also need a safe boating cert to operate in DC waters. This includes paddled craft like Canoes, and Kayaks.
            Anyone under the age of 18 operating a craft of 16 feet or more must pass the DC safe boater class.
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
              The DC police boat passed within about 20 feet from me on Saturday. I wasn't aware of that requirement, but I did take one of those courses several years ago in order to rent a powerboat.

I did also get a DC fishing license recently because I was planning on fishing the bridge and wasn't sure about that location.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
                The DC police boat passed within about 20 feet from me on Saturday. I wasn't aware of that requirement, but I did take one of those courses several years ago in order to rent a powerboat.

I did also get a DC fishing license recently because I was planning on fishing the bridge and wasn't sure about that location.
                Jones Point is an interesting location indeed.

There is an original Washington DC cornerstone there and technically (depending on where you walk) you can be in Virginia, DC, or Maryland. And as far as Virginia is concerned there is a reciprocal license agreement in effect. If you have a valid Maryland license you can legally fish the Potomac River from the Virginia shore.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...eciprocity.asp

Once you are on the water it can be a little tricky. The area within the Red Triangle is DC. South and to the East of it is Maryland.

WW.jpg
                Last edited by buzz; 11-05-2013, 03:04 PM. Reason: added more info
                2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                  Jones Point is an interesting location indeed.

There is an original Washington DC cornerstone there and technically (depending on where you walk) you can be in Virginia, DC, or Maryland. And as far as Virginia is concerned there is a reciprocal license agreement in effect. If you have a valid Maryland license you can legally fish the Potomac River from the Virginia shore.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...eciprocity.asp
                  Also, with a VA license, you are good under the reciprocal agreement for Maryland with DNR registration and good for water regulated by the PRFC. DC does not reciprocate. Additionally, Fed fishing regulations are in effect within the national park according to their website, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the Fed part.

Comment

There can be good fishing in Belle Haven. When you leave ramp, go to right, continue around to right behind boats, then paddle left behind the "island". Your can also be protected from the winds.
                    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Working...
                    X