11/8-10 Rudee, Back River, Hrbt, Elizabeth River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/8-10 Rudee, Back River, Hrbt, Elizabeth River

Just got back from another weekend trip to the Virginia Beach Area. Fished Rudee late Friday afternoon and only caught 3 small specks 10", 11", and 15" at tail end of outgoing tide.

Went over to Monroe after dinner and fished 9-1ish. I got a striper double header trolling as soon as we got out there--both 21". Caught 3 more smaller stripers, but all under 18 by a bit. Also caught half a dozen flounder up to 15". It was a nice night with calm conditions. I also saw a huge striper poke its head out the water, easily citation size judging by the size of its head...made the 21 inchers look tiny in comparison. May have to try some live eels over there next time.

Went over to Messick Point Saturday afternoon for a little while. Very windy and a little rough. Managed only 1 red just under 18", but it fought very hard and was fun to catch...I was sure it would be a keeper, but it was just a very fat 17 incher. Saturday night, went back to monroe for a few hours. Very rough and windy, almost too rough for me, plus my headlamp quit working. Almost gave up after only catching small flounder. Saw a couple guys in Hobies out there. I was about to give up too after I saw them leave, but tried to stick it out for a little bit. Glad I did. I ended up finding a fat 22" speck right around midnight--getting closer to the citation I've been looking for...hope to get one before the end of the year.

On Sunday, I fished the Elizabeth River from Top Rack marina for a while. Still windy, lots of boats but none seemed to be catching anything. Talked to a couple kayakers who said they were not finding any fish either. Fought the wind up past the ditch into a cove and found one red. It was almost the same size as the one I got at Messick, but not as fat and did not fight nearly as hard. Got hung up and snapped off one of my favorite lures (the one I got the speck with the night before). Left very frustrated and tired.

Driving back Sunday night, Monroe looked pretty calm despite the small craft advisory. Almost stopped to try for more stripers or specks but just didn't feel up for it.
    IMG_0104.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0119.jpgIMG_0121.jpgIMG_0123.jpgIMG_0151.jpg
    Last edited by JohnE; 11-11-2013, 12:51 AM.

What lure where you fishing with in the Eriver. I have had the most luck with 52MR mirrolures and Corky's, both of which produced big numbers for a few of us last year. For back river I like using Zman DieselZ texas rigged with a weedless worm hook and a 1/8oz weight about 2' above the lure.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Shady and Chexone were out there last night too, but I think off the Willoughby side. They may have gone to the Monroe side, since it's only a mile from Fort Wool. Thanks for the report.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        What lure where you fishing with in the Eriver. I have had the most luck with 52MR mirrolures and Corky's, both of which produced big numbers for a few of us last year.
        Lost my pink badonkadonk, got hung up with wind pushing me hard and snapped it right off. I can't remember if it was high or low pitch model. Also tried mirros, skitterwalk, and jig heads with gulp and bass assasins. Just one of those days I guess...nobody seemed to be catching anything out there.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Shady and Chexone were out there last night too, but I think off the Willoughby side. They may have gone to the Monroe side, since it's only a mile from Fort Wool. Thanks for the report.
          Do they have hobies? Probably was them. Nobody else out there last night. Talked to one of them for a minute, but I couldn't really hear what he was saying with all the wind and waves crashing on the pilings. I think he said he caught some flounder and something else.

Comment

Yep, Chexone has a white Revo and Shady has an olive drab Outback.

BTW, nice speck. I went to HRBT only once or twice this past spring, but not lately because it doesn't seem to produce like last year. My best speck there was 18" last year.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Dang you guys are make me head for VA Beach. I am missing the night actions.
              I like 52MR mirrolures. When I bought a bunch years ago they were under $5. For me the time is the most expensive item in fishing, and paying for the gas for fishing remote locations often is the second. I guess the lures and bait are the cheapest. My wife has to make more money...

John,
              We still have an unfinished business. Try CHSP for tog on a calm day. I will PM you

joe
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yep, Chexone has a white Revo and Shady has an olive drab Outback.

BTW, nice speck. I went to HRBT only once or twice this past spring, but not lately because it doesn't seem to produce like last year. My best speck there was 18" last year.
                Some of the people I talk to there say they have a tough time catching anything. I see some good reports about the Norfolk side, but usually a lot of boat traffic and it is almost always rougher water. Monroe side is always less crowded, sometimes have the place all to myself. Been relatively productive for me lately, and getting better now that the weather turned colder.

Have not caught many specks out there, but the ones I have found have been pretty good size--biggest were 19",21", and now 22". I bet there are a couple gators in there.

Comment

Yea, that was us. I saw quite a few Striper in the light line over there and managed to hook 6 with most around 16", but two a little over 20". Also caught a couple small flounder and crazy Ribbon.
                  Nice job sticking it out to get that Speck!
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    Yea, that was us. I saw quite a few Striper in the light line over there and managed to hook 6 with most around 16", but two a little over 20". Also caught a couple small flounder and crazy Ribbon.
                    Nice job sticking it out to get that Speck!
                    Thanks. Good going on the stripers...I could not get at them that night. Caught a pretty big ribbon last time I was down there, but I do not like catching them.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                      Dang you guys are make me head for VA Beach. I am missing the night actions.
                      I like 52MR mirrolures. When I bought a bunch years ago they were under $5. For me the time is the most expensive item in fishing, and paying for the gas for fishing remote locations often is the second. I guess the lures and bait are the cheapest. My wife has to make more money...

John,
                      We still have an unfinished business. Try CHSP for tog on a calm day. I will PM you

joe
                      Joe, let me know when you plan on heading out there again. How far is that from here? I definitely want to catch some tog. I haven't had a calm day to try cbbt for them when I've been down there lately. The first island would be a lot of paddling, even on a calm day. My bad shoulder stays pretty sore all week in between trips and I don't like making it worse unless it is really worth it.

Mostly focusing on the stripers and specks for the next month or so. I'm really hoping to get citations on both species before the end of the year. Getting close on the specks, but still way off on a striper. Let me know if you head out to hrbt on any of the upcoming weekends, I will be most likely be in that area.

-I just found some badonkadonks really cheap online to replace the one I lost. Will try 52mr too, not sure which model mirrolures I have.

Comment

You guys head to Wool from Monroe? I would paddle there from Willoughby, but crossing that shipping channel would really worry me...especially at night.

Comment

We launched from the Marina just before you got there.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                          X