11/9-10 CBBT, HRBT and Kipto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/9-10 CBBT, HRBT and Kipto

Left my house around 7pm on Friday night with visions of fishing the HRBT that night, but it was not to be. On the way down around Spotsylvania, Va on 95, I hit a large piece of some sort of debris. This gave me a flat tire and also screwed up my front bumper pretty bad. Four other cars hit the same debris and received damage, but no one knew what it was or where it came from... I changed my tire, a VA state trooper came to see if everyone was alright and filled out an incident report. An hour and a half later I was back on my way and finally got to my hotel close to 1 am.

CBBT 11/9
    Met Chexone around 8 am and launched from the beach to fish the CBBT, and later caught up with Tufnik and HokieDJ. Made my way out trying pilings here and there for Tog, but only found a few Toads (some rather large) to fall for my bluecrab or shrimp. Finally around 10:30, I had a strong pull and had a fish rip drag for about 4 seconds before it came off. I poked around the same piling in the SBC for the next 30 minutes until I finally got another strong pull and drag ripping run. This time the fish stayed on and made it in the yak after a few other drag ripping pulls. The fish ended up being a nice male Tog at just over 18", my biggest ever! I poked around the same set of pilings for a while longer and caught my first Black Drum (although only 8.5"), some Seabass and more Toads. I also witnessed a large Tog feeding on the piling at the surface, which I'd never seen before. Unfortunately, I spooked her and she quickly went back down to the depths and didn't bite. After this action, it was Toads and more Toads and a couple more Seabass out to the 1st island and more of the same on the way back. Landed back on the beach, just as the sun was setting.

Went back to my hotel, recharged my batteries a little bit, called my insurance finally and munched on some leftover pizza.

HRBT 11/9
    Met Chexone at Old Point Comfort Marina on Ft. Monroe around 8:30 pm to fish the North side of the HRBT. We stopped at a lighted dock on the way out and I hooked into my first Cutlassfish at 34", crazy looking fish! We made our way out to the Bridge into some stiff chop, but it wasn't unfishable. I patrolled the light line in the shadows and quickly hooked into a fiestly 16" Striper. Went up and down the bridge for a couple hours and hooked into 5 more Striper, with 2 just over 20". I also caught a couple flounder and the cutest little Toadfish at about 3"! We called it quits around 11pm, I wished Chexone a safe trip home and went back to my hotel to pass out for a few hours.

Kipto 11/10
    I arrived at Kipto around 8 am to find strong winds and absolutely no one around, it was quite ominous... The chop was pretty rough looking between the ships and the ramp, but it looked ok just inside the ships. Despite a voice in the back of my head telling me I was crazy to attempt fishing in these conditions, I loaded up and made my way out. Yea, it was rough, but I took my time and only had a couple waves crash over the front on the way to the ships. When I finally did make it to the ships, with the exception of rolling waves, it was not too bad.
    I worked along the inside of the South ships and the first few holes, yielded no bites from anything. Eventually, I caught a giant Toad and was relieved to catch something. Worked the same hole for a while longer and finally caught a short male Tog at about 13", not long after that I found his girlfriend at about the same size. The next two holes also yielded more Toads and a pair of Tog each. Out of 6 total Tog, two of them were keepers at 17.5" and 16.25". I also lost two other nice sized Togs, one just came off and the other pulled my line into a snag and eventually broke me off. At the south end of the ships I had another strong tug, but it ended up being a 30" eel, my biggest ever! I took a peek around the outside of the ships and quickly said, no thank you, turned around and decided to head to the beach to see if any drum were still around.
    Started off jigging gulp and it didn't take long before I hooked a nice sized drum, but unfortunately he quickly came off. I tryed jigging a little longer, but couldn't get another bite, so I decided to try bait. I dropped my tog rig baited with bluecrab and shrimp to the bottom, set it in the rod holder and began jigging. A few seconds later my rod was bowed up and I reeled in a strong 22" Red Drum. Repeated the same process a couple more times and even had a double with a fish on the jig and bait at the same time and somehow managed to land both. In total, I caught 6 drum with 4 of them around 22"-23" and the other two about 16"
    Overall, most of the drum and tog bit the shrimp, and the vast majority of the catches on the bluecrab were Toads.

Sorry for the long read...
    DSCN5812.jpgDSCN5814.jpgDSCN5817.jpgDSCN5820.jpg
    DSCN5821.jpgDSCN5822.jpgDSCN5826.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shady; 11-11-2013, 12:28 PM.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

a few more
    DSCN5831.jpgDSCN5828.jpg
    DSCN5837.jpgDSCN5835.jpg
    Attached Files
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work, Ryan. Congrats on your biggest line-rippin' tog. I'd say you had a good weekend of fishing. In fact, I think I have now have Kipto fever for reds...lol...

Did you cast or troll for stripers at HRBT? What did you use?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice work on Sunday. I wonder how long the reds are gonna stick around.

I caught a skunk at the CBBT, and only got a few sub-legal flounder and stripers at HRBT on Saturday. My legs are sore from so much pedalling. A lot of work, for a few fish. Should have brought Mojo along. Having gotten no tog satisfaction, I'm twitching today.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          Nice work, Ryan. Congrats on your biggest line-rippin' tog. I'd say you had a good weekend of fishing. In fact, I think I have now have Kipto fever for reds...lol...

Did you cast or troll for stripers at HRBT? What did you use?
          For the Striper at HRBT, I did a little of each, but most of them I went along in the shadow under the bridge with about 5' of line out with a gulp swimming mullet dangling in the lighted water at the surface. I guess thats some version of trolling. Sounds funny, but it worked.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Shady,
            Dang, you fished yesterday?
            I wasn't mad at work because of the darn wind.
            It looks Kipto is picking up action.

BTW, was the water clear at the ships?

joe
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I really only fished a small portion of what I consider good Tog holes at the ships. I would imagine you could catch quite a few more if the weather is nice. The water seemed a little murky to me at the ships, but then again I've never really seen it too clear there...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice catches Ryan...well worth the trip!
                2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice work on the new personal best tog! Never a bad day when you can improvise and get 6 drum.
                  Brian

Comment

sounds like a fun trip. sorry about the car....that stinks. thanks for sharing.
                    Sun Fishin'

Comment

And I forgot to mention that I got one of the drum on the jighead that I customized here http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...this-will-work
                      So yes, it works!
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Did you see and bass stacked up int the light line at HRBT? Im used to fishing the willoby side, never fish the monroe side.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                          Did you see and bass stacked up int the light line at HRBT? Im used to fishing the willoby side, never fish the monroe side.
                          I saw at least a couple dozen in the light line, but they were mostly in the just under 15"-17" range. I only saw one larger one probably in the upper 20s and then the two 20 inchers that I caught. The weird thing was that I didn't see any bait and there were barely any seagulls over there.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Do you remember which tide you were fishing? Im only a few weeks out from being home, HRBT is on my short list of places to hit before the Big bass are in.
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Actually I think it was slack most of the time we were out there and just getting started coming in.
                              Ryan
                              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X