Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidewater VA - 10/15-10/17

Lot's of fishing...

Friday 10am-4pm : Kiptopeke: I fished the holes in the concrete ships for tog. Blue crab was my bait (got it at Chris' Bait and Tackle just up the street from Kipto). I didn't catch anything or get a bite for the first 2 hours. Then, about 15 feet away from a ship, whoa!, big pullage. I'm thinking it's a big tog, but I'm surprised to see a 23" red drum surface. Hey, I'll take that anyday. First red I catch on natural bait. I'm thinking I can catch more like that, so I fish the edges of the ships 10-20 feet away. Another big tug. A tog this time. 13". I stay in that spot, in front of a hole, but away from the ship, and get another 16.5 and then a 17. Nice, got some tog!

Friday 9pm-midnight : HRBT out of Willoughby : Skunked. The kayakers who were already there said the striper action had been "hot and heavy" with the incoming current, but died at slack and did not come back for the outgoing, which is when I arrived. Bummer.

Saturday 11am - 4pm : Kiptopeke : I went back to my spot away from the ships, but nothing there. I fished a bunch of holes, the side of the ships. Nada for a good 3 hours. Found Tufnik on the water and we chatted a bit and went on our ways. I was about to give up on the tog when I went by a hole and saw Tufnik on the other side. I yelled at him through the ship to see if he had any luck. The echo made it hard for us to understand each other, so I dropped a line there, inside the ship and got a hit. I missed that fish a half dozen times before I finally hooked it. Not a keeper, but a fish! I ended up getting 6 fish out of that hole, including a 17.5" and an 18".

Saturday 6pm-10pm : CBBT : Full moon. No wind. Flat. Strong incoming current. Skunk. Damn! Spooky under there.

Sunday 10am-3pm : Lynnhaven : 70 degrees. No wind. Lots of boats, paddle board fisherman, couple yaks. Skunk. Damn! It was my first time there. Very nice. Nobody was catching anything though.
    Attached Files
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

You sure did some fishing over the weekend. I like that Kipto red. The togs on the trough look good too, even though they're shorts. Thanks for the report. BTW, at first I didn't recognize you. You and Mojo surprised me and it was fun to fish with both of you at Kipto.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

sounds like an eventful weekend
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

You sure covered a lot of water this weekend, and it is cool that you proved tog can be caught without scraping up your boat.

Comment

I envy you....greatly.

Congrats on the keeper togs, and the lone redfish. Thanks for the tip about the current at HRBT...I was hoping to try HRBT in a couple weeks. I'll have to try to time it to get there for the incoming tide. Lynnhaven was a possible location for speckled trout....I guess I'll try Rudee or the hot ditch instead... care to join? I could use Mojo's mojo....oh, and also your company.
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Sweet Mike! The legend Mojo continues!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice! Seems that you did really well compared to a lot of others. It seems the full moon and drastic changes in the weather over the week made a significant impact on fishing.
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Good job on the togs and red. Need to get out that way for some soon myself. Outgoing was not bad on the Monroe side Friday night. Actually pretty good, but mostly smaller fish. Guys in the boats were getting skunked even though they were camped out in one of my favorite areas. Got a 28 inch striper on the outgoing right around beginning of current change last night. Really got my blood pumping, felt like a much bigger fish. I was also expecting that it would be slow this weekend because of the full moon.

Comment

You do take advantage of your trips down there and spend plenty of time on the water! Wish I could get out that long!!!!

I've been finding in OC you sometimes have to wait the tog bite out. Nothing for a while and then fish every drop. I'm still a rookie at though...
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X