Blues on Black Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blues on Black Friday

Hit up the Wilson for some guaranteed pullage with Sun. Cat bite wasn't hot and heavy but we got into plenty to make us happy. I totaled 9 over 20" with the biggest two at 29" and 27" and a bunch more little guys. Sun caught quite a few as well and is probably just finishing up the fish fry! Bait used included chicken breast, goose liver, goose heart, and cut spot.

We took a little journey up to the Blue Plains discharge to see what was going on. I'd never been up there, so I wanted to check it out. On the way there I trolled a rattle trap in front of the large pier up there and hooked something really big. At first I thought I had got hung up, but then it started moving. I got it close and then it made a move under my yak and eventually pulled free. I'm about 85% sure I snagged a huge carp judging by the way it fought, but I'll never know for sure. No other bites up there, Sun said he saw some goldfish. Despite the stench, I'd give it another try.

DSCN5877.jpgDSCN5874.jpg
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Nice job finding the cats. It is hard to say when the the Wilson be hot or not. I haven't had any luck at Blue Plains but I have only been up there a few times. I know plenty of guys who have, I just haven;t figured it out yet.

I am meeting Redfish Sunday morning around 8:30 at Jones Point Park to take another shot atthem if your interesed.
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

I'd be nice to fish with you guys, but not sure I can make it.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
        I am meeting Redfish Sunday morning around 8:30 at Jones Point Park to take another shot atthem if your interesed.
        A Potomac guide posted pics of some true monster cats a couple weeks ago. The background was the MD shore including the entrance to the spoils cove. Looked like he was half way between the bridge and the entrance. Also heard of some jumbo crappies in the cove. Might be worth the crossing.

Comment

Thanks for coming out and fishing in the freezing cold. If we had fished the warm poop water earlier maybe we wouldn't have been so cold. My feet were numb all the way home. Haha! But it looks like we made the right choice of fishing the wilson bridge...not many people had too much luck everywhere else that I had considered fishing at. I remember thinking to myself as I was paddling to the WWD "this wind feels like it's blowing harder than the forecast said it would..." it seems others noticed the same everywhere else.

One thing I noticed about the WWD was that the water was crystal clear right by the discharge, and I could see the cloudy river water meeting the warmer, clearer, poop-filtered water. I didn't think of it while I was there, but I think maybe we should have jigged by casting into the cloudy part of the water and jigging it in toward the clear water....that would probably be the direction of any baitfish that stripers would be waiting to ambush. Anyone have any tips on how to fish these warm water discharges?
          Sun Fishin'

Comment

Working...
          X