19 Feb - Wilson Bridge/treatment plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19 Feb - Wilson Bridge/treatment plant

Back in the states for a week and a half and took the yaks out with pops for some cold water fishing. Bridge itself is pretty blank but we caught 5 or 6 there when we found a big school deep. The treatment plant 1.6 miles north was excellent, however. C&R probably 60-70 or so cats between the 2 days we went up there as well as several nice striper (25-30") and several LMB up to 3 lbs. The best fully-landed cat was 20 lbs but I had a true cow halfway in the yak when the braid snapped. Mouth was too thick to grab with my hand...Est weight 40 lbs, video to follow.

For anyone that cares, we tried CCNPP and fished alongside Kimbro and his 3 bros all day. 6 guys jigging nonstop all day from 2 yaks and a boat, not a single hit. We tried the BB rock pile as well, again not a single tap or mark all afternoon at peak ebb. Word on the street is the gill netters have been having field days dragging them out of the deep channels, so most of the residents are basically gone for the winter except for the occasional one here or there. Gotta wait til spring to get any action as far as the bay stripers are concerned--pretty sad really.

pics:

IMG_1546.jpg IMG_0641.jpg IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0632.jpg IMG_1542.jpg IMG_0630.jpg IMG_1533.jpg IMG_0596.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0584.jpg

Comment

Nice Fish! I would have like to see the one that got away.

Comment

Nice work.. what were you using for the cats?

Comment

Wow, that's awesome!!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Looks like a great time...Congrats on the catches!
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Now that's some FAT Cats and nice strippers.
              Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
              Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                Nice work.. what were you using for the cats?
                Interestingly, the cats started to hit the jigs we were using for the striper, but once the striper bite quit, we switched to raw chicken to see who could landed the biggest catfish...I'm having trouble uploading the vid due to questionable connection fidelity but will work on it.

Comment

That looks like all sorts of fun!

Comment

Video below...quality sucks compared to original but had to do it.

Comment

Big A$$ fish! It was bigger than you described. Did he break mono or braid running to the hook?

Comment

I know that spot well from when I owned a bassboat. But now I only have a yak and I'm not sure where the best place to launch is to get there. Would appreciate your input...thanks.
                        Bruce

Comment

Nice trip. Awesome fish!
                          Hurricane Skimmer 128
                          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
                            I know that spot well from when I owned a bassboat. But now I only have a yak and I'm not sure where the best place to launch is to get there. Would appreciate your input...thanks.
                            Bruce
                            You could paddle up there from Jones Point Park under the Wilson Bridge.

Comment

Is there a MD or DC side launch that wouldn't require paddling across the River? Launching from VA can be pretty choppy ride with the wind...
                              Thanks,
                              Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X