Lower eastern shore mothership trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower eastern shore mothership trip

Raptor (Terry) arranged for himself, Mark, Nitefly (Eric), and I to do a mothership kayak fishing trip out of Oyster, VA on the lower eastern shore. The captain advertised the service to run us from the town launch in Oyster about 7 miles out to Wreck Island, an uninhabited barrier island. He also offered optional accommodations in a very pleasant 2-BR apartment over a massive garage.

The captain said he could take up to 4 kayaks in his 24' Carolina Skiff. We did not learn until a week ago that he had never done this before -- we were the guinea pigs. We arrived on Sun afternoon. The captain dropped off the boat on a trailer and said we could experiment with loading the kayaks into the bow area. After some trial and error, we managed to put Terry's Raptor kayak on the starboard side on edge and my Native Manta Ray down the middle. Mark's Revo went upside down on the port side with Eric's Outback laying on top. All of our gear and rods went up underneath the kayaks and in the corners of the rear of the boat.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg

On Sun afternoon the captain told us how lucky we were going to be with Monday's weather. It was supposed to be sunny, warm, and very low winds. As often happens, the weatherman was way off. We woke to sub-50-deg air temperatures and overcast skies. We launched about 9:00 am and ran out the channel. Much of the ride out was over shallow flats. By then the easterly wind had picked up along with a steady shallow water chop. The flat bottom boat bounced quite a bit.

004.jpg 005.jpg

We arrived at the north end of the barrier island with high water levels. The captain dropped us off at 10:00 on the leeward (western) side of the island. We offloaded the kayaks and gear and got the kayaks rigged up. The captain told us he would meet us at the southern end of the island (6 miles away) at 3:00.

We took off and began casting to sod banks, oyster piles, and points with current running out of the marsh. These areas looked very fishy, but sadly the fish were either not there at all or were completely uninterested in our offerings. As we proceeded down the shoreline, the wind picked up making it rather unpleasant out there. By noon we had fished 2/3 of the way to the other end of the island. We decided to call the captain to see if we could get picked up sooner. He told us he could meet us, but the the rapidly dropping tides (for some reason the high and low tides were extreme for the past few days) prevented him from getting to the planned pickup spot. He initially told us to paddle back the the original launch location. As we headed that way, the captain drove part way south to meet us.

Unfortunately the low water kept him from coming up to the beach as planned. He anchored in 1.8-ft water depth and had us paddle over to him. Loading the kayaks into the boat in the driveway was pretty easy. But standing in water nearly two feet deep with waves coming relentlessly toward us, made the loading a bit more challenging. Eventually we got the kayaks and gear onboard and managed to get our bodies over the gunwales too. We headed back to the ramp and called it a day.

Four of us fished for nearly 3 hours each over great looking habitat and could not get a single bite. It was frustrating. We could see the potential of that location, but came up empty yesterday. We had a great adventure, suffered no injuries, and just one significant loss of gear (Eric can give details). Eric turns out to be an excellent cook, making us delicious meals both nights, which we enjoyed along with cold beverages.

In addition to Monday's trip, I went down to the eastern shore on Sat and fished 3 hours on Sat afternoon near Wachapreague and 3.5 hours on Sun morning near Fisherman's Island. I casted, jigged, trolled, and bottom fished. I had no bites on either of those days despite being in productive looking waters where I have caught plenty of fish before. I saw almost no baitfish nor active fish moving around in shallow water (wakes, mud clouds, etc.). This cold spring has not been good to me for fishing -- despite many trips this month I have very few fish to show for my efforts.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 04-29-2014, 05:15 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sounds like an great idea. Looks sort of tight onboard. Was it a long ride out? The weather is just strange and wasn't in your favor. You should try it again when it gets warmer and I'm sure you would hook up.

Mobile Phone

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Thanks for the report, I was wondering how the whole mothership deal works. Sounds like everyone's first trip for the reds, but you just have to put in the time...or so I have been told. Hope to find some time soon myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
        Sounds like an great idea. Looks sort of tight onboard. Was it a long ride out? The weather is just strange and wasn't in your favor. You should try it again when it gets warmer and I'm sure you would hook up.

Mobile Phone
        It definitely was cramped on the boat. The ride was about 20 minutes. It would have been more fun on a warmer and less windy day. And of course, if the fish had been biting, we would not have cared about the weather.

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
        Thanks for the report, I was wondering how the whole mothership deal works. Sounds like everyone's first trip for the reds, but you just have to put in the time...or so I have been told. Hope to find some time soon myself.
        The captain is still new at the mothership concept. I'm sure he will quickly figure out ways to make the process more efficient.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The trip out took about 20 to 30 minutes. The trip back was precarious at times due to low water. It took a little longer to return, I believe, as the Captain had to pick his way through skinny water.

We did see dolphins breaking on the ride home and that was exciting.

Also there was a pond behind immediately behind our nice accommodations with many willing bluegills in it ... or one very stupid one that evidently enjoyed the hook. So none of us were truly skunked on the trip as we gave those bluegills hell. And Eric did catch a tasty flounder the day before our charter. But of course, our goal was red fish and we did not succeed for them.

In some ways this trip was a fitting end to April 2014 which has been a most frustrating month for many Snaggedline anglers. There have been few excellent trip reports despite the efforts of many experienced anglers. The good news is that May and beyond have to be better months.

Here are few photos of the gang after we were deposited on Wreck Island full of hope for an excellent day:

B.jpg

This is Eric and his outback.

C.jpg

Here John is ready for some reds.

E.jpg

Raptor is making a few adjustments before shoving off of the oyster shells.

The area and accommodations are definitely worth a return visit when the weather and fish are more cooperative.
          Last edited by Mark; 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Sounds like quite an adventure; as trips to the VBI's can usually turn into.

Were you after bull reds or puppies? I haven't heard of any showing up yet, at least not on the backside, but flounder are spreading out behind the islands. A friend of mine has been picking away at flounder out of Quinby, but hasn't found any other species yet. Soon enough though...

However, black drum are in the surf now and Wreck has some awesome surf fishing structure. I fished a couple islands north of Wreck earlier this month and got 5 up to 40".
            Brian

Comment

Our plan was to kayak the lee side of the island for puppies in the morning and take the boat to the ocean side for bulls in the afternoon.

However mother nature had other plans.

Congrats on your excellent catches.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

A great adventure...and you had an excellent cook too! Sorry for the lack of fish. I have been experiencing the same thing around this area. I guess you would have to drive all the way towards the VA Beach area to get into some good redfish bites.

How much was the mother boat trip? That is definitely something that I will want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                  A great adventure...and you had an excellent cook too! Sorry for the lack of fish. I have been experiencing the same thing around this area. I guess you would have to drive all the way towards the VA Beach area to get into some good redfish bites.

How much was the mother boat trip? That is definitely something that I will want to do.
                  Martin -

See http://www.drumfishcommander.com/. His rates are under charter information. Capt Brady Bounds also offers kayak mothership trips to the eastern shore islands leaving from southern MD.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

It took me a week, but I finally did a blog post on this trip. The only new info in it is how I lost my mirage drive

http://cymbulapiscator.blogspot.com/...othership.html
                    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
                    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
                      The only new info in it is how I lost my mirage drive
                      What the....?!?! How'd you lose your drive?
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

Hey Guys, Capt. Mike here with www.drumfishcommander.com I just finished my new kayak rack for the front of the 23' skiff. Should be able to fit up to four kayaks more comfortable. If I get a wide body like the raptors I can stand it on its side against the side posts and then three across from there. A picture of it is on my Facebook page. Facebook/Drum Fish Commander Charters & Lodging LLC. We were dealing with a new moon tide and they Shure can disrupt the seaside sometimes. You guys were an awesome group and I hope to have you back again this year. This area has so much to offer for kayak fishing. I have the ability to take you to places that would other wise be hard to access . Thank you guys again Capt. Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X