No announcement yet.

Gargatha Flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take a right out of the ramp, and then stay in the main gut as it winds toward the beach, it ends at the inlet I was referring to.

Comment

Troling, casting, or drifting ?
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
        Troling, casting, or drifting ?
        Easiest if conditions (wind&current) permit, is the drift. However, if the drift is slower or faster than 1.5-2.25 mph you may have to use a combo of troll/casting to achieve that speed of bait presentation. I have caught flounder doing all three. Lumpy bottom is usually better. If the speed gets too quick, try jigging and letting out a little line and then pick it up. They will take the bait on the fallback. Look for a couple of taps, be patient, give them a chance to get the hook, and then lift up and start cranking. I find a hard hook set will pull it out of their mouth. These are a few things that work for me, I am sure others have different things that work for them.

Comment

Here is a map of the inlet and the places where we found fish the few times we went out. You'll notice most of the pins are up against the bank. We consistently found more fish when we started our drift up againt the bank and worked our way out towards the middle of the creek. The yellow pin is the launch.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the spot burns!

I haven't fished there in about 2 years, but we used to do good north of the inlet drifting behind Assawoman Island and back towards the inlet. Shipping Creek on your map is a good spot too. Gargatha Bay is only 3 or 4 feet deep but drops to like 15 feet in Shipping Creek.
            Brian

Comment

That's why theyre in red! I just hope it helps someone catch a big ol' flatty. And maybe this will get me back in good standing with the fish gods for my lack of red drum reporting .

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                Here is a map of the inlet and the places where we found fish the few times we went out. You'll notice most of the pins are up against the bank. We consistently found more fish when we started our drift up againt the bank and worked our way out towards the middle of the creek. The yellow pin is the launch.
                What GPS are you using, and how did you transfer your waypoints to google maps?
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

When looking at a google map of an area:

1.) Click "My Places" on the left side bar
                  2.) Select "Create New Map" (You may have to find the area you want to make a map of again. Sometimes it resets to the entire country)
                  3.) Click on the marker icon (its the same shape as the waypoints shown in the above map) and place them where you want.
                  4.) Zoom in or out of the map to your desired field of view and press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard (upper right hand corner).
                  5.) Click the Start or Windows button and open the "Paint" program
                  6.) Press "CTRL+V" to paste the sceenshot into the Paint program.

From there you can add text, lines, or whatever else you want.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I thought you were getting the points by importing GPS coordinates.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

No. Just places I've had some success.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

No. Just places I've had some success.
                        Copy that.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for the map, Ravens. If you didn't show it, I would have fished the wrong area. Plans changed a little, but I still hope to fish there. Fat flattie, here I come..lol..
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Caught a keeper and two shorts yesterday. Since it was the first time, I sort of lost orientation when I was finding my way through the channels. I later found out I fished the thin line. Did not fish the thick white area because it was too rough. I should have fished south, but I wasn't sure to go there.

First time I'm using Google Earth. Still figuring out how to insert symbols, etc.

Hey, you guys yak fish the drift on the south channel? Saw boats go down there and power back up. Seems like it might be tough on a yak, even with the mirage.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tufnik; 06-30-2014, 02:42 PM.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Fished Gargatha creek yesterday during the incoming. Caught about a dozen flounder. We kept 5 between two of us. Most were in the 17-19" range. Lost one around 22" at the boat and saw some boat guys catch a few bigger ones, but you have to weed through a bunch of shorts. Minnow and gulp! on a Carolina rig did the trick. Best bite was at the top of incoming.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11902[/ATTACH]
                              Wanted to fish here Sat afternoon...drove all that way from Deal...the amount of boat traffic surprized me and wind was serious. i'll need to do another time
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Tufnik,

We fished that area to the south in a boat, but it is doable in a yak. Especially near the bank of the creek where the current isn't as strong. It'd obviously be easier when the moon isn't full or new.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X