Dogue Creek Recon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogue Creek Recon

Some coworkers of mine want to catch some snakeheads, so I've been looking at different spots to try. I've been striking out on the Mattawoman, and last year's trip to Leesylvania was a bust. Back in the early 2000s, Dogue Creek had the highest abundance of snakeheads of all the creeks on the VA side. It seemed like a good candidate, so Kevin and I checked it out today.

We launched from the Marshall Hall boat ramp at around 9:30, which was midway through the falling tide, and headed across the Potomac to Dogue Creek. The wind was blowing hard enough that we made it across in 14 minutes. The water was really muddy, and there was lots of logs and other debris, even in the creek. The water temperature was about 71-72*, if I recall correctly.

Kevin picked up a perch somewhere around the mouth of the creek, and I missed a good hit. The area around the mouth didn't seem like great habitat, the wind and waves made it hard to fish, so we started working our way up the creek.

We found some spatterdock and started working the edge. Our timing was off as the tide had dropped a lot which added to the list of less than ideal conditions. While casting a bit into the spatterdock, I hooked one of the stems. I gave it a few jerks. It came free, but my lure drifted off to one side as I reeled it back in. I thought it was a bit of the spatterdock stem, but it turned out to be a monster bass. When I realized it wasn't moving right, I thought, "I should set the hook." By that time, the fish was back at the boat. I got a quick broadside view and a really good look at the head before it threw the hook. It was probably the biggest bass I've ever hooked, and I would guess it was in the 18"-20" range. Kevin saw it, too, so it's not a fish tale, but keep in mind our poor ability to judge fish size on our last trip. It hit a Camelbird Special--1/4oz white chatterbait with a white Zoom fluke as the trailer. Kevin had a few hits in the area, but couldn't connect.

That was all the action we had until we worked our way a good bit upstream. Right before we decided to head back, I threw the chatterbait at a big tangle of woody debris and caught a 17" bass:

That was a rush! I can't believe I pulled it out of all those tangles without losing it. Anyway, that convinced us to try a bit more in the area. Kevin picked up a fat 15-incher in the same area, but I didn't get a photo of it. It hit a crayfish colored chatterbait. We also met Followme438 while we were there and got the low-down on the creek. I always like putting a face to a screen name, and he gave us some good tips for future trips. After that, we had to head back.

Since I don't have much in the way of fish pics, here are some pics of some cool irises we saw:

I've seen iris leaves at a lot of places I fish, but I never get the timing right to see the blooms. Anyway, I would definitely like to hit the creek again under better conditions and see I can actually land another bass like the one that got away.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Some of the most popular creek had been heavily over fish; dogue creek, little hunting creek, Pohick bay, mattawoman. I checked out most of the popular creeks. I guess the tournament that they have every year does its work.

Comment

Nice job Bill. Wow 2 fishing reports so close together was unexpected! That 17 incher looks health and big. My son and I like chatter baits when fishing the tidal Potomac for bass and snakeheads.
      I've lost several big bass the last couple of years and it's a bad feeling. Keep at it and you'll be rewarded with more opportunities. My main problem when I have a decent fish on is that I get too excited and horse the fish up to the surface too quickly. I'm working on trying to reel them in slowly with a steady tension on the line.

Comment

I will attest to the veracity of bills first bass being a lunker....big old bucket mouth.
        One interesting note. Right as Bill was catching that nice 17incher, I saw a huge snakehead wriggling through some longs right against the bank. That long dorsal fin sticking out of the water as he did....a first for me. Pretty impressive.
        I love recon trips. Fishing was a "C-" but the weather and company were A+!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Snakehead Hunter--No doubt. Kevin and I hit the Mattawoman at the beginning of the month and came in after dark. We saw three bowfishing boats heading out. That blew me away. Two years ago, there was only one guy that I saw regularly bowfishing at night. We even saw a guy bowfishing in Dogue Creek during the day. I'm usually pretty decent at spotting snakeheads, but I haven't seen many the past few times I've been out. I didn't see any yesterday. I've been trying to think of places to go that would be hard (or unlikely) for bowfishing and bass boats to go, but, unfortunately, there are a lot of parts of the river with no easy place to launch a yak. There are a couple creeks I want to check out that have shallow mouths that would probably keep most boats out, but I can't figure out how to get to them without a marathon paddle, which I seldom have time for.

Tom--It's rare that I had back-to-back productive trips this year. I've barely get out 2-3 times a month this year, which isn't enough time for me to figure things out. My wife has been killing my fishing time this month by working several weekends in a row, leaving me on baby-duty, so I had to make up for it this weekend. Plus, Kevin was available for a couple recon trips. He's always up for long paddles in questionable conditions with uncertain outcomes. Anyway, my wife's schedule is calming down, the water is heating up, and I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things now.
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Dr Bill and Kevin,

As always, fantastic recon work. Great job on the fish! And nice work on the paddle, you guys worked for it.

Kevin,

I hope the new yak is better in the wind/waves than the sea horse.

Justin

Comment

Lol camelbird.....that was the Gift Horse....and it is indeed better

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                Lol camelbird.....that was the Gift Horse....and it is indeed better

LOL...thats right, my bad... a good ole girl for sure

Comment

I always enjoy seeing Bill's red hat and the photos he takes of the nature around him on the fishing trips.
                  At some point I would love to coordinate a trip with you Bill (and others). I've never fished farther South than Mallows Bay.

Comment

LOL! I've had that hat a while. I think I probably have enough photos of me in it now to do one of those time lapse aging videos. You're welcome down here any time. I haven't been out enough to figure out what's going on yet, but I'm really hoping for a repeat of last year or the year before. I'd wait for things to heat up a bit yet before you make the long trip.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks Bill. Over the winter I bought some xraps with the idea of finding some speckled trout, redfish, or blues.

Comment

Working...
                      X