Fly line for Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly line for Bay

Hi all, I have only fly fished a few times in the bay, with a bit of luck. I typically bring a 7 and 9 weight or throwing bunker patterns.

I just use my orvis 250 and 350 grain depth charge full sink lines which seem to work, but who like throwing full sink lines all day?

What lines do you use in the bay? Full sink, sink tip, intermediate, floating, specialty (ie Rio's striper)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    2017 Jackson Kayak Mayfly

Instagram: @thegreggoutdoors

Gregg

I do not like to throw sinking lines either. It just doesn't seem like casting to me...more like slinging a rope.

For tidal perch I use either a 5 or 6 weight rod with weight forward (WF) floating line. I like a long leader and tippet of 8 to 9 feet combined. I usually use 10 or 12 pound mono for the tippet on a bass leader. Bass leaders have heavy butt sections to help turn over bigger flies. Either rod will handle schoolie stripers mixed in with the perch.

Harry (On the fly) introduced me to Scientific Anglers line recently and I really like it. I have their Titan Taper on the 6 weight and essentially it has turned that rod into a 7 weight. I can throw larger Clouser's with it or even big poppers for tidal pickerel if they ever return to their familiar haunts. (I use the same 6 wt. with the Titan Taper to throw LM and SM poppers in fresh water.) My 7 wt. never saw the water last year.

For perch trips in the Bay's creeks or the Severn I usually carry two fly rods, a 5 and 6 weight each loaded with a different kind of streamer. I've used a 4 weight with WF floating line but frankly, it's just easier to throw the 5 or 6 weight rods with a weighted streamer. Or when pickerel were prevalent I often put a popper on the 6 wt.

When I target stripers in the Bay I have successfully used floating WF line on a 9 weight. However, I recently purchased another 8 weight rod and I will likely use that with floating 8 weight WF line in lieu of the 9 weight rod. I have not bought line for it yet, but when I do I will likely get the Titan Taper in 8 weight unless I run across something better. The 9 weight is simply a heavier rod than I need. It's tiring to toss all day. I do have sinking line for it also, but again, I don't like to throw it. I'll save the 9 weight with floating line for windy days when I need a little extra oomph to get a popper on target. I also have an existing 8 weight that I run intermediate line on. I use about 5 or 6 feet of straight mono, 12 to 15 pounds as my leader and tippet. I carry that rod regularly with a streamer attached.

Generally, I carry two fly rods for my kayak striper trips, one with a popper and one with a streamer. I rarely fish water more than 6 or 8 feet deep for stripers. In fact, I catch most in 2 to 3 feet of water. My long leader can get streamers into their range in those depths and most certainly the intermediate line will do so also. I can throw poppers at stripers with either line but I do so most of the time with the floating line.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-02-2018, 06:22 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I fish a Ross Rhythm 2 with an 8wt Sage XP. I use an intermediate sink tip Rio for most everything I do. I have found it to be a great line for throwing topwater poppers for schoolie stripers in the rivers. I was under the impression that floating line would be better for topwater but a guy I know at IA turned me onto throwing them with intermediate sink tip. I have a loop on both ends so I can quickly switch to floating line when I run up to NY/OH to fish the steelhead creeks.
      Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
      Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

Comment

Thank you both for the intel. It sounds to me like I should consider one floating line (my 6 or 7wt) and one intermediate line (my 9wt). I do agree that this rod is a bear to throw all day, but I am a bit of a streamer junkie and love the 7-10" articulated flies. If you can't catch fish, you may as well enjoy what you are throwing

I have the titan taper on my 6 wt and love it! I generally like most things SA, but have been increasingly interested in the rio lines. I have enjoyed all their how-to videos, so I figure I'll try their lines. Maybe ill pick up their intermediate. sink tip. Do you use either of these?

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...ch-streamertip

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...-15ft-sink-tip

Gregg

Comment

Gregg,

You're very welcome.

I think you'll find floating and/or intermediate lines a lot more enjoyable to fish with from a kayak than sinking line. Also, I believe they'll be very effective for you.

I am not familiar with the Rio lines you listed.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

I found that the Wulff Triangle Tapers in a floating line, was able to turn over those "1/2 a chicken" half and halfs, Clousers, Deceivers, etc.
            I assume they would do fine with the articulated streamers and yak hair bunker imitations.
            It should be much easier to lift and cast a floating line then the deep sinking lines. I never did like them, even in lighter sizes, for freshwater fishing.
            But you need an arm like an NFL QB to throw one all day.

"A Flyfishers Guide to Chesapeake Bay" is a great reference book for locations, tackle, and techniques.

Comment

For full sink I like 250 grain on 8wt, 350 for 9 wt. however I prefer intermediate lines. They sink 1-2” per second (vs 6” per second for full sink). Also they only go down about 3’ of water. The additional weight of intermediate casts better for me and Easier to pull from water than a full sink and almost as easy as floating. Fortunately I have all different weights and sink types to use. If we get enough maybe a seminar for those type of lines. I did one a while back at Bass Pro in the fish tank so you could see the line underwater.

Comment

I really like the rio striper intermediate line. I throw large bunker patterns and use a 10# sage xi3. 2 false casts and shoot it out to 70'+ no problems, that saves me from the fatigue of throwing big patterns with a 8 or 9 weight and making 5 to 10 false casts. I like this line so much on that rod it has become my go to for false albacore in the fall too. The rio lines, especially the salt water series are specifically designed for fast action salt water rods and casting with a fast line speed tight loop double haul. If you are taking more than 2 back casts, you're doing it wrong / or these lines don't match your style of casting. From what I hear the sage salt in a 10# is even better, but it's a little pricey $$$. They review the sage salt as being capable of lifting 30' of rio line off the water and with one back cast and a haul shoot it back out to 80' with no effort at all. That's 50' of retrieve and the fly is only out of the water for a few seconds, this also gives you the ability to quickly take a second shot at moving fish. Can't praise rio lines enough, I use them for tarpon, permit, bones, reds, false albacore.... and have for years now.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                  If we get enough maybe a seminar for those type of lines. I did one a while back at Bass Pro in the fish tank so you could see the line underwater.
                  That's a generous offer Harry. I'd be interested.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Dirtyjake, Im really thinking I may spring for the striper WF9I line for the 9wt and maybe jump on a regular intermediate line for a 6 or 7 wt for smallmouth fishing. I typically use floating for river bassing, but it would be nice to have an intermediate to get down in some of the riffles/deeper holes.

Ultimately, it is reminding me that I should just pay up front for an extra spool with my reels. I now own a couple discontinued reels and have a hard time finding spools

Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by Cluelessandfly View Post
                      I now own a couple discontinued reels and have a hard time finding spools
                      It seems like today it doesn't take long for reels to slip into discontinued status. I learned today that an SA reel I purchased last year is already discontinued. The good news that newly discontinued reels are accompanied by closeout sales, often with significant savings.

For older reels, check eBay. I once found an unused still-in-the-box spool for a 20 year-old reel.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

I agree, sometimes discontinued means retails are willing to wholesale their inventory at significantly reduced prices. I've also seem this a lot with the SIMMS / ORVIS gear including travel packs and clothing. Still brand new, but 'last years' colour pattern etc, can have SIGNIFICANT savings.
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                        X