August Trout vs Summer Striper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August Trout vs Summer Striper

I haven’t been out on the bay in a few weeks and it’s been since June that I caught any striper on the fly. Been going deep with conventional tackle. I don’t know if I have the patience to wait for a sinking line to make it 10-20 feet down.
    So I’ve been doing more trout fishing when the flows allow it and it has been a very good summer with some beautiful trout. Haven’t been in any hatches so I have been nymphing or throwing streamers.
    I just want to make sure I’m not missing out on the bay with inconsistencies on the reports have lead me to stay closer to home to enjoy the cool tail waters and get some free A/C.
    Anyone else doing the same thing?

BigBev67,

There's a saying that all politics is local meaning that regional interests prevail in the electorate. Fishing is like that too.

If I had local options that provided an opportunity to avoid the hit or miss conditions that has marked this year's striper fishing, I would take them too. In the interim, white perch have been willing to entertain us in the mid-Bay area with an occasional surprise catfish or striper. Within weeks however, I suspect the stripers will begin to visit the tributaries in big numbers chasing baitfish to fatten up for the winter. At that point you can use intermediate or even floating lines to catch them on the fly. I hope we can link up to do that.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      BigBev67,

There's a saying that all politics is local meaning that regional interests prevail in the electorate. Fishing is like that too.

If I had local options that provided an opportunity to avoid the hit or miss conditions that has marked this year's striper fishing, I would take them too. In the interim, white perch have been willing to entertain us in the mid-Bay area with an occasional surprise catfish or striper. Within weeks however, I suspect the stripers will begin to visit the tributaries in big numbers chasing baitfish to fatten up for the winter. At that point you can use intermediate or even floating lines to catch them on the fly. I hope we can link up to do that.
      I would be interested in tagging along for that, but I have to add a 8 or 9 weight outfit and some flies! Jeez...kayak fishing has added a lot to my shopping list!
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
        I would be interested in tagging along for that, but I have to add a 8 or 9 weight outfit and some flies! Jeez...kayak fishing has added a lot to my shopping list!
        An 8 is ideal for stripers. For perch I've used from 4 to 6. For flies, Clousers from size 4 for perch to 2/0 for stripers will suffice.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X