Eastern Shore Ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore Ponds

In my opinion it's hard to beat fishing Eastern Shore ponds throughout the winter and spring.

They're smaller than reservoirs, shallower and therefore warm up faster. The fish are plentiful and concentrated and finally, tides are of no concern. I think they're ideal for fly fishing from a kayak, especially now.

Yesterday I got on the water for the first time in almost a month due to a busy home life. It was enjoyable to be out. The casting and catches were merely bonuses.

I caught mostly pickerel as you might expect but I did get one bass, my second of the new year:

P1040557 (3).jpg

Pickerel were much more plentiful and I nailed them in a double digit count. Three were just over 20 inches and most were 18. Here's a 20:

P1040544 (2).jpg

I used a bendback minnow on floating line. Here it is all chewed up from yesterday:

P1040566.jpg

Like most well-worn flies it still worked.

Because of its weedless characteristic I cast it directly into emerging pads and pulled it through the growth. Areas like this is where it worked well:

P1040551 (2).jpg

If you look ahead of my bow above you can see pads just beginning to break the surface. Pickerel gravitate to those areas even now before the pads are fully developed. When the vegetation is complete, the surface will be completely covered and I could never cast a fly into it. But at this time of year, it's a good target zone for a fly. It's also great fun to see a bow wave of a fish from the other side of the pads head toward your fly. When you see that don't stop stripping. Keep moving the fly. It will entice the pickerel to continue the chase.

In open water I used my unnamed articulated fly:

P1040560.jpg

Unlike the bendback it rides with the hook down. It tends to get hung up in vegetation. So I used it on the periphery of pads and on the flats. Also, I ran it on intermediate line. I caught the majority of my pickerel with it. Given its color, the pickerel must have been in a cannibalistic mood yesterday.

I had good hookups yesterday. No deep swallows. Most of the time, pickerel take the fly in the corner of their mouths and they did so yesterday:

P1040548 (2).jpg

At this time of year it's also good to search shorelines. I caught a few in areas like this:

P1040567 (2).jpg

Areas like that will be especially good when the trees leaf out and there is shade under them. A side-armed cast will sling a fly under the branches.

So again, if you like fly fishing from your kayak a trip across the Bay Bridge will usually be well worth the drive.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-06-2019, 08:31 AM. Reason: Punctuation
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great report - I really need to get to one of those ponds! My brother and I have caught pickerel on the fly on Colyer Lake in central PA. It's a blast to see the wake heading toward your streamer as you strip it.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Outstanding fly fishing report, Mark. Thank you for the detailed explanation of flies and how they were used. Great photos too!

Comment

Thanks guys.

To me it's kayak fishing in its simplest most relaxing form.

I encourage you to pick a pond and give it a try.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on a successful fishing trip. You are becoming a master of the ponds.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I love pond fishing, brings me back to the days of my "ill spent youth" before I discovered girls, and cars.
            At least I can still fish!

Great report as usual.

Comment

Working...
            X