Ready for Action -- I Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready for Action -- I Hope

This weekend I'm heading across the bridge hoping to meet some Eastern Shore bass.

I made these two foam poppers yesterday for the trip:

Pop27.jpg Pop28.jpg

In the past I would tie a lot of flies over the winter. I still tie off season, but not as much. I enjoy making flies for specific trips, choosing colors and styles on a hunch. I'll find out if I chose well on Saturday.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark,
    Best of luck this weekend, those poppers hopefully will do the trick.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice can't wait for the photos!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Fantastic

Those look great, Mark. I’ve never caught a pickerel on a popper before. Looking forward to your photo report.

Comment

Thanks guys. The foam holds up well. But sometimes I have to replace the tails.

Tom -- I think picks come up more often at this time of year than they do in cold water...although I had one hit a dry and floating bullethead darter on the surface last December. I usually wait for the spring to try poppers on them. Here's one from a prior trip to Unicorn Lake:

P1020693 (2).jpg

Interestingly they usually get attached to a popper the same way they do to a streamer. The hookset is often in the corner of their mouth.

Kevin -- I'll send photos if I catch anything worthwhile.

Mainly, I'm anxious to get on the water. It has been a while since I've been out.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Best of luck.

I have yet to catch a fish on top water while fly fishing. With how much I enjoy a conventional topwater blow up, I imagine on the fly is that much better.

Report back if there’s any action. In my neck of the woods bass are just coming off beds. Time to start throwing a frog!
            Annapolis
            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
            Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Carson,

You're fortunate to have access to that area of the Severn.

I launch at either Jonas Green or Tucker Street into Weems when I visit the Severn. I've never caught a LM bass near those areas -- never seen a frog in the water there either!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Ready for Action -- I Hope

Sorry, maybe I worded that poorly. I was referring to various small ponds that I fish in the area (and MOCO), not the Severn.

I, also, have never seen a LMB or a frog in the Severn.
                Last edited by CarsonNash; 05-16-2019, 08:31 AM. Reason: Typo
                Annapolis
                2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
                  Sorry, maybe I worded that poorly. I was referring to various small ponds that I fish in the area (and MOCO), not the Severn.

I, also, have never seen a LMB or a frog in the Severn.
                  Carson,

No problem. I thought that maybe the far northern part of the river might have LM bass and frogs.

Frogs are also extremely susceptible to environmental hazards. Their presence in a body of water is generally an indicator of the health of that water.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

I tested my poppers yesterday on an Eastern Shore pond. It wasn't the best day to fish topwater for bass with a high sun and a bright blue sky.

The black and orange one caught the eye of a small bass immediately:

P1040573.jpg

Then it hooked this bluegill whose eyes were bigger than its stomach:

P1040574.jpg

After that it went to a watery grave. I hooked a nice sized bass. I got the fish to the boat and the loop knot broke. Perhaps I nicked it with my clippers when I cut the tag. It's rare for that knot to fail. In any case, I hope the bass has spit the popper by now.

I then tied on the olive popper I made for the outing and caught 4 more bass. This was the largest:

P1040604.jpg

This tiny crappie liked it too:

P1040601.jpg

I caught a lot of undersized crappie yesterday on a variety of flies.

I also took my spinning rod. I knew the vegetation would be thick in areas and there's no way to throw flies in cover like this:

P1040596.jpg

I used this soft plastic rigged weedless and weightless:

P1040606 (2).jpg

And I picked up my largest fish of the day, a 24 inch pickerel. It exploded on the lure as I dragged it slowly through the growth.

P1040577.jpg

All things considered it was not a particularly aggressive bite yesterday, aside from pesky goldfish-sized crappie and equally small blue gills. I fished hard for the few decent fish I hooked. But it was great to be on the water after a long spring absence.
                    Last edited by Mark; 05-19-2019, 10:15 AM.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Nice work on Trap Pond. You caught quite a few fish during the morning.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        Nice work on Trap Pond. You caught quite a few fish during the morning.
                        Poppers have worked good for me in bright sunlight when there are lots of dragonflies around....flyrod poppers.with legs and small clear torpedoes (heddon lure) slay em when fish are wanting to eat big dragonflies

14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                          Poppers have worked good for me in bright sunlight when there are lots of dragonflies around....flyrod poppers.with legs and small clear torpedoes (heddon lure) slay em when fish are wanting to eat big dragonflies

I cannot say I've replicated your success in that manner. I find the bass more willing to rise in low light, in shade or on cloudy days. However, indeed when the big blue dragon flies are flying around I've had good success with blue foam poppers.

BluePopper.jpg P1010572.jpg
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                          X