All on a Popper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All on a Popper

Visited an Eastern Shore pond today and caught three different species on my 5Wt with a small red popper: Bluegill, LM Bass, and a Pickerel. Had to use a net to land the Bass and Pick, I was afraid they would break the tippet. The Pickerel did bite through the tippet, but I had it in the net, lucky for me.
    2019-06-12 07.35.35.jpg, 2019-06-12 08.15.24.jpg, 2019-06-12 09.20.43.jpg

The popper will need some repair after the Pickerel got through with it. Missing some legs and one eye.
    2019-06-12 13.30.54.jpg
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

I dig it! Looks like lots of fun. I need to get a pickerel on the fly sometime. That looks like a popper Mark would make.

Comment

Good eye Dan, it is!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John - You are really getting into the fly fishing game. Good work.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Outstanding John.

I wish I had joined you today.

I just made you two pickerel leaders for your next fly outing. They won't get bit off.

I have more of those poppers too. I like that particular size -- small enough for bluegills, big enough to entice bass and picks.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks John, long way to go, but am enjoying the new venue,
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Catching fish on the fly with poppers is addictive! Next step is making your own poppers then catching fish on your own creations!!!

Comment

My Brother gave me Dad’s old fly fishing equipment...1970’s fiberglass eight foot Wright and McGill rod, old Martin auto reel loaded with floating WF flyline that is about as old as I am...all bought at Oklahoma Tire and Supply in Hot Springs, Arkansas...but it was a fish catching outfit in my Dad’s hands...a 5 pound smallmouth bass on the Caddo River...a two pound warmouth Bass...six pound LMB..so many big bluegills you can’t imagine..Dad could roll cast a rubber spider under the tree limbs and drop it noiselessly within inches of the bank...incredible talent...think I will try to use it just for old times sake...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  My Brother gave me Dad’s old fly fishing equipment...think I will try to use it just for old times sake...
                  You definitely should!
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

do you save your chewed up flies or toss them? i feel like that would be a pretty cool "trophy case" collection for your wall. something i might do if i figure this fly fishing thing out... or if i get a wall I can decorate at home lol
                    -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
                      do you save your chewed up flies or toss them? i feel like that would be a pretty cool "trophy case" collection for your wall. something i might do if i figure this fly fishing thing out... or if i get a wall I can decorate at home lol
                      Occasionally I'll rehab a popper by tying a new tail on it. I do the same with jigs. But most of the time, especially for streamers, I toss them. If the materials can be easily cut from a streamer hook I may do that to salvage a hook. But to be honest I usually have a good stash of hooks and don't resort to that very often.

I did save a perch spinner that I used to catch 61 perch on a single outing. It hangs on the wall near my tying bench. And a few weeks ago, I retired this popper:

Popper Retired.jpg

It caught 18 or 19 bass and a similar number of bluegills on two outings within a week. The last bass it hooked was 20 inches. So I thought it deserved a rest.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                      X