Free State Fly Fishers (FSFF) 2019 Bluegill Tournament Winners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free State Fly Fishers (FSFF) 2019 Bluegill Tournament Winners

This year the FSFF instituted a catch and release bluegill tournament for its members. The tournament ran through 15 November. The two primary rules were:

1. Catch the bluegill on a flyrod with an artificial fly – no bait.
    2. Submit a photo with the length of the fish clearly visible.

Our top bluegill entries ranged in size from 8.25 inches to slightly over 9 inches.

Last night our winning contestants received awards at our annual Holiday Party:

BG Tournament.jpg

Left to right above are John Rentch, Mike Mattia and Frank Bowne. Congratulations to each.

Mike Mattia hooked largest bluegill of the year on a popper he tied. He caught it in Delaware’s Concord Pond in October. Given that our first entries of the year were in recorded in April, Mike deserves kudos for his perseverance to reach the top spot.

Noteworthy is that each of these gentlemen caught their entries while kayak fishing. In fact, the FSFF is a very kayak-friendly group. The club sponsors over 30 local club outings each year to pursue species ranging from rainbow trout to white perch to freshwater bass, to stripers. Many of our trips are kayak outings.

Please keep the FSFF in mind if you’d like to like to learn more about fly fishing, and kayak fly fishing in particular.

http://fs-ff.com/

Thank you,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Thanks Mark for setting up the Bluegill Tournament. Once I got my first one, I became addicted to catching a bigger one. Not as easy as one would think, but is a great challenge. Looking forward to 2020’s challenge.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Shoot! I need to get in on the tournament next year! I also need to start bringing my hog trough when I fly fish from shore. I have caught a few bruisers the last couple of years. Nice going guys!!!! Catching bass and bluegills on top water flies that you make yourself is very addicting!!!!

Comment

Tom -- I caught many bluegills on the fly this year but not one was longer than 8 inches. I started calling them my bluegill clones. The 2020 tournament is open to FSFF members and is just one of many enjoyable activities of the club. It generated lots of interest for members during 2019 and folks are already looking forward to it next year.

John -- Congratulations again. You've had a great year for a first-time fly-rodder -- white perch, a bruiser channel cat, pickerel and a trophy winning bluegill. Now pickerel on the fly will occupy us throughout winter and early spring. I can't wait to get after them.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

This one was in the 8 inch range.

And maybe this one too.

Gotta start bringing that hog trough with me! haha.

Can't imagine a 9 inch bluegill or larger. Very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            This one was in the 8 inch range.

And maybe this one too.

Gotta start bringing that hog trough with me! haha.

Can't imagine a 9 inch bluegill or larger. Very cool.
            Nice catches Tom. I hope you'll join up and enter your catches next year.

Bigger ones are out there for sure. We had a 9 inch entry in April and then more entries between 8.25 and 8.5 inches during the year. I thought the 9 incher in April would hold on to the lead. I was surprised when the winner just a tad larger than the April fish came up for a popper in October. At that time of year I would have guessed a streamer in deeper water would have produced a bluegill of that size. You just never know...
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
            X