Eastern Shore Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore Pond

Went to an eastern shore pond today with Mark Bange and Rich Batiuk to hunt some Pickerel. The pond water level was low so some of our favorite spots were not fish able. I finally managed two nice Picks (18.5 & 17.5). I caught them on a Yellow/white Bendback fly. Afterwards we had a great lunch in a local diner.

2019-12-06 12.15.31.jpg 2019-12-06 12.34.16.jpg 2019-12-06 12.25.32.jpg
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Very nice catches, John.

A bend back is a good choice to use for pickerel, especially unweighted in shallow water because it suspends. The pond had slime on the bottom and it's good to keep your fly out of that.

I used an articulated fly:

Articluated Crystal bugger (2).jpg

It's not a formal pattern with a name -- just something I tied. Part crystal bugger and part bucktail.

The pickerel weren't in their winter aggressive hungry bite mode yet, but they gave us some fun and chewed up the fly pretty well.

I got three, one at 19.5 and two small ones between 14 and 15 inches.

I hope a better bite is coming soon.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Outstanding results, pretty fish, and nice flies!

Comment

Thanks, we had to really work due to low water levels. The first three hours were blanks, maybe they got active after the shallow,water warmed a little.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
          Thanks, we had to really work due to low water levels. The first three hours were blanks, maybe they got active after the shallow,water warmed a little.
          Agree...If you're going after winter pickerel, no need to be early on the water. Let it warm up a little. Mid mornings to early afternoons are good start times. Sunny days are the best.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Still have never caught a pickerel. I would like to try some of these ponds sometime though.
            Annapolis
            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
            Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Carson,

The ponds are fun pickerel fishery for sure.

And the fish are very willing to hit streamer flies in the winter. Given the winter water clarity, you'll often see them approach and strike which is almost as exciting as a topwater strike in my opinion.

But the good news for you is that pickerel have returned to your home waters in the Severn. Actually, return is not the right word. They didn't leave. They played coy with us for 3 years. There are many little ones present at the moment so you would do well to downsize your flies. I was tossing large streamers like the ones I use in ponds and I think I scared them in Weems! I didn't start catching until I downsized my flies.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Carson,

The ponds are fun pickerel fishery for sure.

And the fish are very willing to hit streamer flies in the winter. Given the winter water clarity, you'll often see them approach and strike which is almost as exciting as a topwater strike in my opinion.

But the good news for you is that pickerel have returned to your home waters in the Severn. Actually, return is not the right word. They didn't leave. They played coy with us for 3 years. There are many little ones present at the moment so you would do well to downsize your flies. I was tossing large streamers like the ones I use in ponds and I think I scared them in Weems! I didn't start catching until I downsized my flies.
                I will have to give them a try next year. It sounds super fun.

I don't own a drysuit, and I don't have a deathwish, so my kayak season is over. Its better to be safe then sorry.

That being said, I have many miles of excelent shoreline availible to me for fishing. I gave a halfhearted attempt for some pickerel last weekend, but no luck. Maybe over my Christmas break I will give it a little more effort wth my flyrod.

I am off to do some trout fishing this weekend, but I will give pickerel a try in the near future.

Thanks for the info!
                Annapolis
                2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]25829[/ATTACH]
                  John - Whats the total length of that lure head to tail? Looks good!
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                  X