Sunday Pickerel Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Pickerel Hunt

My friend Mark Bange and I went to Unicorn Pond yesterday for some Pickerel. Weather was perfect: Low SW winds; sunny skies; water temp 40 degrees. We launched around 11 for an afternoon trip. I started throwing a blue/white Bendback fly that I recently tied:
    DSCF0007.jpg
    Took a while to find the fish, but just about everyone we caught was in 1-2 FOW. Most were under 15", but had one over 17". I ended up with 5, Mark did better.
    DSCF0005.jpg

We stopped around 3:30 as my wrist was getting tired from throwing the fly. When I got home, I realized I forgot to put on some sunscreen as my face (cheeks) were quite red and warm. Even in sunny February day in Maryland you can get burned. Had a great time !
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

John Rentch and I have enjoyed a number of winter pond pickerel outings this season, including yesterday's outing. While we do bring spinning tackle, most of our pickerel catches come on the fly. I thought I would share some hints with those of you who would like to feel a pickerel on the end of your fly line at this time of year.

1. Enjoy your breakfast at home or favorite diner, maybe even lunch too. Winter pickerel in ponds are not early morning, break-of-day feeders. If you go out before noon, you’ll have a nice boat ride but your chances of significant pickerel action are low.

2. Sunny days are best. This is not like bass fishing where you want cloud cover or need to target shaded banks. Pickerel like sun on their back in winter. This belies their image as a predator lurking under dark cover waiting to ambush their prey. They still will rush to make a strike, but they’ll do it in open water in winter. Fish out here, not near banks:

P1040959 (2).jpg

3. Low wind is best. Pickerel generally do not like the surface of the water rippled by wind. You can still catch them in such conditions but that’s when you’ll want to use an intermediate line that slowly sinks. Getting down just a few inches more in such conditions is often the difference between success and failure.

4. On still days, look for wakes and splashes in shallow water. It’s not quite sight casting because you may never actually see the fish. Pickerel are ideally camouflaged. But you’ll see where they are feeding. Cast in that direction.

5. Look for emerging vegetation in shallow water:

P1040952.jpg P1040958 (2).jpg

This is where your kayak gives you an advantage over shore anglers. You can float right over the top of these pad fields now and they can be 50 yards or more from shore. The water may be hardly as deep as your paddle. I believe that's why pickerel like these areas – structure with water shallow enough to warm in the sun. In two months, the area will look like this:

P1020709.jpg

In fact, if you know where these places are on the pond you are fishing in winter, head to them. They hold fish even now.

You cannot cast into the middle that vegetation with a fly rod when it’s high. But you can now. A light streamer on floating line is best. A light streamer with an upturned hook is ideal. John and both have connected with pickerel in these areas often using a bendback minnow. It’s essentially a Clouser minnow without the weight. I find a Clouser too heavy in such conditions. I prefer bendbacks that slide among the stems and leaves without getting hung-up.

Here it is in the water:

P1040954 (2).jpg

And here it is with a pickerel attached -- one of 10 I caught yesterday:

P1040956.jpg

Bendbacks ride with the hook up and are light enough to suspend in the water column. Pickerel love that. I fish it with a strip, strip, pause motion. I keep the rod tip down, even in the water at times as I strip line. Typically, the strike comes on the pause. When that happens, strip strike to drive the hook home, then lift the rod tip. One more hint about the bendback – offset the hook point slightly. It increases hookups. I should do it automatically after I take a finished bendback from the vise. But I don’t. I offset it on the water. Often a missed strike is my reminder to offset the hook.

6. Be patient. Pickerel mass feeding in a pond is an unpredictable event, other than they evidently prefer to sleep in so don’t go early. On most of our outings we find that something triggers their feeding. We don’t know what it is, but when the dinner bell rings, unheard to us, they start feeding. That’s when multiple hookups are common. That frenzy may last for 90 minutes or more when bites are prevalent. Prior to that you might think there are no fish in the pond. So, wait the devils out if your schedule allows. Eventually they’ll start biting, again usually after noon and you’ll be glad you were there when they do.

7. Finally, enjoy the by-catches:
    Bass.jpg P1040936 (2).jpg

Bass and crappie are active in winter too. They hit the same flies that pickerel chase. You won't catch them as often as pickerel but it's a nice surprise when you do.

Hope this info helps if you are seeking to chase winter pickerel on the fly.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark; 02-24-2020, 10:15 AM. Reason: The bass in the thumbnail is not one I caught. The rest are. I indavertenty pulled it from my file.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice work John and Mark. Unicorn is a pickerel haven.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Excellent report gentlemen. My first ever pickerel was caught out of Unicorn Lake about 3 years ago. A good fishing buddy of mine who had passed away took me to Unicorn and also taught me how to fly fish while we were there. We spotted a small pickerel in the stream below the dam and he instructed me as to where to cast, but the fish did not bite.
        Tim M. Elliott
        Pasadena
        Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

Fantastic report John and Mark. Great photos and explanation of the fishing methods. I need to tie some bendback flies. Those are some pretty fish.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            ...I need to tie some bendback flies...
            Tom,

Here's a few out of the vise:

Bend back3.jpg

They don't last long on a pickerel outing if the bite is good:

P1040517 (2).jpg
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12