Bluegill Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluegill Box

Low temperatures and and gusting winds of the past two days have kept me from chasing pickerel.

So, defeated by the weather and inspired by last weekend's Tie Fest, I decided to fill a Bluegill Box for the warmer days that will be here soon. I spent a few hours last night and this morning tying mostly streamers and a few poppers for my 2020 bluegill arsenal.

I like to use a small double-sided waterproof fly box with foam inserts on each side to hold my panfish flies while I kayak fish. I put streamers on one side and surface flies on the other.

This one box with slightly over two dozen flies will account for many bluegill catches this spring and summer. No doubt a few bass will hit these smaller flies too. They will be by-catches, not intentional targets.

Last year, I could not break the 8 inch barrier on my bluegills. This year, I hope a 9 incher is in my future. If so, one of these flies will do the trick.

Here's the surface fly side:

IMG_3271.jpg

Gurglers, poppers and spiders, each made of foam.

IMG_3278.jpg

And here's the streamer side:

IMG_3273.JPG

Clousers, wooly buggers and crystal buggers.

IMG_3277.jpg IMG_3276.jpg IMG_3274.jpg

Nothing fancy. Nothing hard to tie. Just the basic flies. I know they'll work well.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-29-2020, 01:40 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Looking good. I found some mitts at the dollar store in NM...chartreuse and blue..tied some mop flies and a few ants yesterday. I just keep cramming them an already stuffed small box. Whatever falls out first when I open it, will get used��
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Yea, I am certainly ready for warm weather to hit those panfish. Really tired of dressing up for the cold water. Got my boxes ready as well.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks guys.

Bluegills aren't picky. I'm sure we're each well prepared for the season. They're the first fish for many on the fly yet they never lose their appeal.

clm -- the FSFF featured a mop fly at one of its Saturday tying sessions in the recent past. Incredibly simple to tie. I have one as a result but have never used it. I should give it a try.

John -- I hope to join you on the trophy stage at this year's bluegill tournament.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Those all look fantastic Mark! I've got my measuring board ready!

Comment

Those foam spiders are Bluegill killers...they were my Dad’s go to shellcracker/bluegill lure...fill a stringer with some of the best tasting fish ever!
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

IMG_20200302_135146.jpg to

Gonna have to stalk you guys, Im not a local and not privy to years of family fishing in the area...haven't found any bluegill of enough size to keep...but I enjoy catching the little guys just the same...I generally catch a bucket of little guys and then take them fishing for blue cats��. Provably not the best fishing trip for them, but my belly enjoys it.
              Hobie Outback
              Stand Up Paddle Board
              Pelican 100

Comment

clm,

Nice work on the mop flies.

No need to stalk. Tuckahoe, Wye Mills, Unicorn and Smithville Lakes are our favorite MD Eastern Shore bluegill waters. In my opinion, Smithville holds the largest fish of all the species we catch on the fly in those waters which includes pickerel, crappie, bass and bluegills.

However, the ponds of Sussex County, DE generally exceed Smithville in quantity and quality of fish, again in my experience and opinion.

Often our visits are short term decisions and highly dependent on weather. We also avoid weekends in warmer months due to Bay Bridge traffic. That's not an issue now but it will be soon.

If you'd like to join us, PM me with contact info and I'll let you know when we're going.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thank you very much. I will do some mapping. I will PM.you my contact info. Much appreciated.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    Those foam spiders are Bluegill killers...they were my Dad’s go to shellcracker/bluegill lure...fill a stringer with some of the best tasting fish ever!
                    Your dad had the right idea, Ron.

No doubt he was more patient than me. Foam spiders work best when you cast them and let them sit motionless. That's very hard for me to do. I like lures and flies that require me to manipulate them to slide, skip or pop across the surface or start and stop underneath at varying speeds. Letting a spider sit still for more than few seconds takes discipline I sometimes lack.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Pink foam spiders are my best bluegill fly.
                      I also caught a bunch on a foam cylinder with a squirrel tail. This was slightly larger and gets small bass to bite it too.
                      I'm headed to the OBX 2 of the next 5 weekends and plan to break out the fly rod and see what I can catch.

Comment

Thanks Tom. I made some pink gurglers in bluegill sizes. I’ll let you know how they do.

Good luck at OBX. The ponds should definitely be active down there now.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                        X