Saint Mary's Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Mary's Lake

Yesterday three members of the Free State Fly Fishers (Mark Bange, Rich Batiuk and myself) and a SMOG member- Big Mike, made a trip to Saint Mary's Lake, St. Mary's County. Launching around 11:30 to overcast sky and winds from the SE. Air temp was 54 and water temp 52. This was my first visit to this area
    DSCF0019.jpg
    Mark and I headed for area "D" to hunt Pickerel. Rich turned left and fished area "J". Mark fished the west side of "A", I fished the east side. We both were throwing Bendbacks. After two hours we each had one hookup and one strike. No picture of the Pick, jumped off the Hog Trough before I could take the picture. Very frustrating because the area looked very inviting for Pickerel.
    st marys lake.jpg

I left that area and paddled over to area "A", switching to a lighter rod and an olive wooley bugger.
    DSCF0029.jpg
    On the second cast I landed an active LM Bass
    DSCF0021.jpg
    I continued throwing in this area and managed four nice Crappie with a half dozen casts.
    DSCF0027.jpg, DSCF0026.jpg.

Overall, it was a good day, could have been better. Need to visit this place again when the weather warms.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Excellent report and photos John.

Good catches too.

It was also nice to see Big Mike.

The lake definitely deserves another visit from us.

Here's the only fish I boated:

P1040988 (2).jpg

It looks as surprised as me after many fruitless casts.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I started at the dam which was very slow using white Gulp. After awhile I slunk off to my secret spot uplake but still slow. Decided to try a small Rapala in a yellow perch pattern. Game on. Ended up with half a dozen bass, 5 pickerel, a crappie and a yellow perch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice going, I didn’t get active until I moved to the south shoreline
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Good work fellas. It seems that pond and stream fishing is the main game in town right now.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X