Big Annemessex Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Annemessex Trip

Yesterday, Mark Bange and I took a trip to the Big Annemessex River for Specks.
    Dscf0142.jpg
    Having never fished this area, we decided to get some help from Capt. Chris Dollar of Centerville.
    DSCF0134.jpg
    Launching about 7:15 to low winds and the last of a flood tide. I was using my 7wt, both floating and intermedite lines. Started throwing a shrimp pattern that a friend gave me from the Tampa area. Within the first hour I had landed three specks- two of w
    DSCF0143.jpg
    Within the first hour, I had landed three specks, two of which were less than 14". The last felt much heavier. Had to work getting it next to my kayak. Managed to get my net under and bring into the yak. It measured out at 22+". A very fat fish which ended up on my dinner plate last night!
    P1050145 (2).jpg DSCF0139.jpg DSCF0138.jpg
    Later we paddled across the Annemessex to the north shoreline. Didn't have much action, except for the large Gar that Mark managed to hook up. He had to have Chris unhook it due to the size.
    DSCF0144.jpg DSCF0145.jpg
    Later we paddled back to our original spot, but the bite had turned off.
    This is a great area, launch was clean, plenty of parking during the week only. We both want to come back to this area, and maybe make it to Janes Island as well whenever this virus goes away(if it ever does)!
    Also, for any of you that fancy a day trip like this, but don't have the experience, give Chris a call. His website is: cdollaroutdoors.com . Very reasonable rates and very knowledgeable.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

I had never even heard of the Big Annemessex River before and I'm a lifelong Marylander.

What a beautiful spot and an easy launch.

However, the area was not kind to us in terms of fishing. It should have been more productive with ample sea grass and enough tide to skim flies over the top of the grasses and along the edges. The specks were scarce.

My only bite of the day was a needlefish. I had caught them before in FL and in the southern portions of the Chesapeake on conventional tackle and on flies. They were each small fish about 12 inches long. However, I had never caught one 3 feet long. I didn't know they grew that large.

It hit a crystal bugger fly with a pearl body and purple tail. I was using a 7 wt. fly rod with intermediate line. That's my favorite pickerel rod so I guess it has an attraction to toothy fish with long snouts.

The needlefish ripped line faster than any other fish I had ever caught on the fly, including reds. The line went sizzling through the water. I had to put the fish on the reel. I could not strip it in.

The fish also went airborne several times. The fly held and I managed to get it within reaching distance of Chris after a lengthy tussle. I wasn't about to touch it!

After he unhooked it, Chris said people have been impaled by large needle fish leaping from the water. I could see why when I got a close look at its spear-like snout and teeth.

needle (2).jpg

But that's all I wanted was a close look. No photo op needed. Chris flipped the hook out of the fish and it was on its way.

Plus one on what John said about Chris Dollar. Very nice fellow and a good guide. He will do conventional tackle trips as well as fly fishing trips.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Now that’s a needlefish. Thanks for the report, definitely the year of the speck in our southern waters. They’re so plentiful (relatively speaking) they’ve got to show up in catchable numbers around Annapolis soon.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks for the report and glad you got to see some of what Somerset County has to offer for the kayak angler. The choices in that area are unlimited.

Mark, you are right in that Atlantic Needlefish only grow to about 12 inches or so. Houndfish (what you caught) grow a couple feet though. Edible too!

Sorry you didn't have more luck with the specks either. The speck bite in that area is usually best mid-May to mid-June. By the time the calendar is turning to July it's really slowed down in the shallows and rivers comparatively to what it was just a few weeks prior. You have to fish a little deeper, go out front, or move out further in the bay to some of the islands outside kayak range. Or concentrate on super early morning or late evening into night.

They'll be back in the shallows in good numbers come September though, so mark your calendar to come back down to try again. Like you said, its a beautiful area to fish.
        Brian

Comment

Slobber Bob,

That's great seasonal input. Thank you. I'm sure John and I will be back this fall. I could see the potential. In fact, I mentioned to John that the area reminded me of the flats we've fished in Tampa with shallow water far from shore and many patches of grass.

However, after he quickly hooked 3 and then we had no further bites, I realized the Specks were not thick in the area yesterday. But I still enjoyed heaving the fly line.

As to the houndfish, Chris mentioned that it could be one of those. It's a member of the needlefish family. I looked it up online and its scientific name, Tylosurus Crocodilus, is definitely appropriate. It has a wicked nasty front end. It put up a good fight but I wouldn't want to target them. Give me specks over them any day!

So I hope to catch Specks when I return and see no more of Tylosurus Crocodilus.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Agrees with Slobber Bob. I live near where you launched and the waters up in the marsh have been running 85+ so the patterns change up this time of year. Fish off the islands and mouths early or late when waters cooler. The fish are still around just holding in different areas. Don’t be surprised if you come across a snake head or two they have been showing up in the bank traps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Rudy,

Thank you. I saw a few of those traps. I wouldn't figure snakeheads to be in that water but nothing surprises me about them anymore. They're turning up everywhere.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Rudy,
                Thanks for the info, Mark and I want to return maybe September and try again.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Big Annemessex River? Never heard of that too and I'm a native Marylander. haha.
                  I am becoming more interested in tidal fishing now that I have a vacation home in the OBX. I can see how catching stripers, speckled trout, redfish, and flounder would be a blast. Hoping I live long enough to retire and figure it out. Also need a pickup truck to make it less of a hassle to transport my kayak.
                  Cool looking fish Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    Big Annemessex River? Never heard of that too and I'm a native Marylander. haha.
                    I am becoming more interested in tidal fishing now that I have a vacation home in the OBX. I can see how catching stripers, speckled trout, redfish, and flounder would be a blast. Hoping I live long enough to retire and figure it out. Also need a pickup truck to make it less of a hassle to transport my kayak.
                    Cool looking fish Mark.
                    Tom,

It's not much to figure out. You're already adept at freshwater fishing in creeks and ponds. Those skills transfer well to shallow water tidal fishing. Structure, current and subtle changes in depth are just as important to locate fish in tidal water as they are in freshwater. All you need to do is get your lure or fly in front of those tidal fish you mentioned and they'll do the rest.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X