• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been playing with twine and glittery hot glue

IMG_20200927_132448.jpg
    IMG_20200926_154827~2.jpg
    IMG_20200922_085608_01.jpg
    IMG_20200922_085422~2.jpg

Saw a you tube video on the hot glue heads...did a test float in the sink....and it sinks...should be good for jigging a little deeper.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Have you fished these glitter glue flies yet? Any success catching fish on them?

Comment

Yep. The pickerel live them.

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Love

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

I'm guessing the glitter glue is applied using a standard glue gun? If so, what's the trick to get a nice smoothly rounded/tapered glue head? Practice??? I'm thinking if I gave it a try my fly head would be all lumpy/saggy and gross looking. BTW, it's snowing like crazy up here halfway up the side of the Catoctin mountains. I really hate the Corvid bigtime, but this crappy winter is starting to register a close second on my hate list!!!
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Chip,

That's an interesting approach. It never ceases to amaze me what we can toss at fish and entice them to bite it. Good work.

I've never tried a glue-head on a fly. However, I frequently use consecutive coats of Sally Hanson Hard as Nails to build up the heads on flies. Here's a photo sequence of a Bendback I tied this weekend. A friend of mine asked me for step-by-step photos. These are the two photos for the head:

BB7.jpg BB8.jpg

The first shows the head of the fly with stick-on eyes ready to be cemented with the nail polish. The second shows the finished head after two or three coats of the nail polish. It makes a nice tapered head.

Howard -- A rotary vise helps the polish or glue to cure evenly on the head. You simply rotate the vise to disperse the adhesive as it dries.

"Loon" makes a glue that cures under UV light that works similarly. That way you can dry the glue almost immediately.

Now, here's another thing I did this weekend to create a large head on a fly. My wife gave me a bag of old bead necklaces:

Beads1.jpg

Just like bead chain, you can clip the beads off in pairs to make eyes for flies:

ACB4.jpg

Doing the same with old necklaces will allow you to created a fly head like this:

Beads2.jpg

I was looking for big gaudy lightweight eyes on my articulated crystal buggers. I didn't want readily available lead eyes because I don't want the fly to sink fast. I think beads above will do precisely what I want.

Now if this miserable February weather subsides in a few days as the forecast suggests, I'm going to test that ugly fly on a pickerel. I bet one will bite it.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice going CLM. Very cool to get a pickerel on it!
              Mark, your flies always look great.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                I'm guessing the glitter glue is applied using a standard glue gun? If so, what's the trick to get a nice smoothly rounded/tapered glue head? Practice??? I'm thinking if I gave it a try my fly head would be all lumpy/saggy and gross looking. BTW, it's snowing like crazy up here halfway up the side of the Catoctin mountains. I really hate the Corvid bigtime, but this crappy winter is starting to register a close second on my hate list!!!
                I slice off a disk with a razor, then cut that in half, or even 1/3....quickly heat the hook and set it in using a bodkin....then apply heat in little spurts (torch lighter), rotate the hook and it will take shape....
                Hobie Outback
                Stand Up Paddle Board
                Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                X