Tenkara Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenkara Anyone?

My wife was pestering me for birthday gift ideas so I threw out the idea of a Tenkara rod. She gifted me this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ly-fishing-rod

I plan to test it out at a local pond on Wednesday after work if the weather is nice.

Any of you fly fishing guys ever give a Tenkara rod a try before?

I'll post back how things go with it. I can envision going for simplicity and using a Tenkara rod and a couple different fly patterns in my future.

your link doesn't work, i think you copied and pasted the shortened version instead of the full link.

i am a fly fishing newbie, but i jumped on an older Kickstarter for the DRAGONtail MIZUCHI Small Stream Tenkara Fly Fishing Rod- it seems to be very good quality, my skillset is the limiting factor at the moment. its fun, but in my experience difficult, but a getter fly fisherman likely will have less learning curve.
    -Justin

Comment

Tom,

Congrats on your wise choice for a spouse and in winning her over.

I've never tried Tenkara. I think I'd miss the tight loops and long unfurling line. I like to cast almost as much as I like to catch.

However, Tenkara is gaining in popularity.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/DRAGONtail-MI...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Sorry. Try this link.

Comment

I struggle with line management while fly fishing from my kayak. I'm thinking the Tenkara rod might improve on that situation. It might not though. I find that I enjoy casting top water flies while in the kayak. Plop the fly to a spot. Let it sit for a few seconds. Then if a fish doesn't take it, I'll cast again and plop it down in another spot. I'm thinking the Tenkara rod might work well for that application. Who knows? I can also envision using it in ponds and in the smaller flows I fly fish near home for quick fishing trips. I'll report back how it goes.

Comment

Tom,

Fly line management can indeed be problematic in a kayak.

I've used the following photos in a presentation I do on fly casting in a kayak.

Most of the time I toss mine outside the boat to the left like this:

P1050044 (2).jpg

For floating line in clear unobstructed water, that works fine. That's my preferred technique. It works well for me. I view it the same as dropping the line at my feet while wading.

However, if I am using intermediate line (that sinks) or if there are pads or spatterdock nearby that will entangle the line, I drop it on the deck of my kayak:

P1050038 (2).jpg

For some reason, that's a little harder for me to manually accomplish and I avoid that method as much as I can. But I know some who find that technique easy.

In any case, regardless of the method used, it helps to keep the deck clear so that fish grips, pliers, tackle boxes, etc. will not tangle with line. You can be sure if something is sitting on the deck, the line will find it.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Went to a pond last night and fished for about an hour. Started to get the hang of it by the time it was getting dark. Had 3 or 4 green sunfish take a swipe at the popper I was using. 50% of them stayed on for a few seconds, but came off as I was pulling the line in. Zero fish landed. Beautiful evening out. It certainly is different than casting with floating fly line.

Comment

Tom,

So, when you hook one, how will you get the fish to the boat?
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

That's a great question Mark. I guess sometimes just lifting the rod up will bring a small fish to the boat. For something that is fighting I'll have to grab the line by hand and bring it in. I'll let you know how it goes and if I end up liking it.

Last night it did work ok with the tiny popper I tied on the line. I was able to plop the popper in the general area I was intending. I would let the popper sit or twitch it slightly. If no fish activity, I would re-cast and plop it somewhere else. I was standing on shore, so we will see how it works from a kayak. I can envision floating around or paddling and tossing a tiny popper as I float. Next I'll try it in one of the small rivers near home to see how that application is different.

Comment

For the best hookups, I think you'd have to maintain a tight line. That could be hard to do with a popper while drifting in still water without the ability to retrieve slack by hand.

Allowing a weighted fly to sink while applying a little jigging action with the rod might help you to keep the line tight.

Good luck,
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Right on, Mark! I missed at least one fish yesterday due to slack in the line.

Comment

Comment

Success!
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                          X