Ted Williams Fly Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Williams Fly Rod

A good friend of mine said he picked up a little something for me at a yard/estate sale.....He knows I love to fish. He found this Ted Williams rod and reel combo...Sears and Roebuck. The amazing Mark gave me some knowledge on it's background (Mark is an encyclopedia of fishing knowledge)(thank you). With his instruction, I was able to find the proper line for this rod....8wt set up...I'm using Kastking fly line. This rod casts like a dream...but to be honest, it is my first experience with anything heavier than 5 wt....I was able to shoot line with this rod like never before. Picked up two pickerel and chunky bass from the local stained flow of water I like to haunt. The second pickerel came after the fly like a mini submarine...I saw the wake and a flash....he missed, but not on the second cast. Fantastic way to wet the new to me rod...
    Attached Files
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

I had one of those fiberglass beasts that I bought new from the Sears at Mondawnin Mall up in Baltimore perhaps 55 years ago.
    The only difference was that I had a spring loaded Ted Williams automatic reel, with a level line that had the approximate thickness of anchor rope.

I cast hand tied flies made with cake box thread. And I found some sunfish dumb enough to hit these and became addicted!
    Last edited by bignose; 11-25-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
      I had one of those fiberglass beasts that I bought new from the Sears at Mondawnin Mall up in Baltimore perhaps 55 years ago.
      The only difference was that I had a spring loaded Ted Williams automatic reel, with a level line that had the approximate thickness of anchor rope.

I cast hand tied flies made with cake box thread. And I found some sunfish dumb enough to hit these and became addicted!
      That's awesome....I've seen the automatic reels, but never in person. That's a great story...I need to look up the age of this combo...just for gee whiz reasons....I have a reel set up with a sinking line...hoping to test it out and fish through the year with the fly rod.
      Last edited by clm; 11-28-2020, 05:43 PM.
      Hobie Outback
      Stand Up Paddle Board
      Pelican 100

Comment

Chip,

You embarrass me. I'm just old.

Enjoy your new toy.

I learned to cast on a glass rod. It's a softer slower feel than a graphite rod. Glass is probably a better teaching tool for beginners because it requires more patience to allow the rod to load on the backcast. Once you understand that part of the casting process, and you learn that timing, it becomes natural and you adjust accordingly without thinking about it. Then you can cast any fly rod you pick up.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

https://youtu.be/AzI4PsurAiA

Found a hungry pick.....
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

Nice fish!
            Good way to start the year.

Your casting will improve with more repetition, don't worry, it takes some time to get the feel of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              Nice fish!
              Good way to start the year.

Your casting will improve with more repetition, don't worry, it takes some time to get the feel of it.
              Thanks...Mark let me know that he was on the board already this year...so I had to get something on a line...my real reason was to cast a 1920s telescopic steel rod made by Union Hardware. It is surprisingly supple...a bit too much I think...I couldn't get it to cast for anything...it felt like it was unloading rather quickly....so on the way forward you get a sprooooiinng feeling...and all the line ends up in a pile....the line also would droop in between the eyes...but stick to the final section of the rod....I may need a super heavy line that is stiffer...or just hang it up as I primarily bought it because of its age...I'd like to catch at least one fish on it before I hang it though.
              Hobie Outback
              Stand Up Paddle Board
              Pelican 100

Comment

Nice catch and video Chip.

The old Ted Williams rod lives again and has a lot of fish left in it.

Pickerels are a blast on the fly. I could tell from your commentary on the video that you could see the fish approaching. That's what I like most about them about them in winter. The water is gin clear, and there are no pads to obstruct your view or snag your flies. You can watch the fish follow, almost see them thinking about it, and then they savagely strike, or they turn off at the last second. Sometimes you can see one stationary, merely minding its own business. A cast to it may entice the fish to bite.

Yep...I got on the 2021 board Monday with a small LM bass from a DE pond. I caught two more bass and three picks to start the year. Nothing big but lots of fun on a cold day.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

IMG_20210224_141517_727.jpg

Caught 5 today and missed two more....they were hungry after the thaw apparently.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Ted Williams rod with a Medalist reel-Classic!

Takes me back aways!

Comment

They missed you during the bad weather, Chip.

Nice going.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                      X