New Fishing Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fishing Gear

Here is some of the new fishing gear my wife got me for Christmas.

1. A very small chest pack. My goal is to bring even less gear with me this year when I fish. Hopefully everything I need for my short outings will fit in this pack.

2. Some foam tenkara line winder things and tools.

3. A cool measure net.

4. What is this pointy thing?

5. Here are some tenkara bugs I tied up yesterday. They might catch something. They are size 6, which is small for me.

Hopefully they trick some dumb trout, fallfish, sunfish, or tiny bass.

Nice gifts, Tom.

I have a similar point on my line clippers. I use it to:

1. clear hook eyes of debris gathered while fishing -- like algae in ponds, especially when it dries.
    2. pick out the remnants of old leader/tippet knots in hooks
    3. crack through paint on hook eyes in new jig heads
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Apparently that long pointed end of the tool is used for making nail knots. I'll have to watch some YouTube videos to see how it works.

Comment

Tom,

I thought you were talking about the point at the top of the tool.

I haven’t tied a nail knot in years. Most new fly lines have loops to connect to leaders. Much easier to change leaders now.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Gotcha Mark! I think I have a fly line that I need to tie a new loop on the end of it. So I might give this tool a try.
          I'm disappointed that the retractable lanyard that came with it broke already. I barely pulled on it and the thing came un-sprung. I'll have to break it open and see if I can repair it. haha.

Comment

I used to like those looped ends that slipped over your fly line like the old "Chinese Finger Puzzles"
            Slip it on, pull it tight, hit it with a drop of super glue, and the loop lasted forever.

Most newer fly lines have a built in loop, but it has been years since I bought a new fly line.

A size 6 fly small?
            Wait until you tie your first size 20, and then you go back to a size 16 and wonder what you're gonna do with all that extra room!

Gawd, I couldn't even thread a leader on something that small anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              I used to like those looped ends that slipped over your fly line like the old "Chinese Finger Puzzles"
              Slip it on, pull it tight, hit it with a drop of super glue, and the loop lasted forever...
              I remember those loops Stu. Generally they worked well. I didn't superglue them. I relied on a plastic sleeve that came with the loop. It shrunk with heat at the connection of the loop and line. I would roll the line over a lit light bulb to seal the connection. I had be fast in that process to make sure I didn't melt the line itself.

However, I had one give way at the loop. It just broke with age. So I started tying my own loops directly into the fly line.

This is a 25 year old #6 floating line from Cortland -- still works fine by the way:

Loop (2).jpg

I tied a loop in the line by inserting it into my fly tying vise. I wrapped fly tying thread around it and tightened it with a normal finishing knot. I sealed it with head cement. It has lasted for a long time.

I've since the done the same for other old fly lines. Using a bright colored thread that is easily seen from a distance serves a dual purpose as a strike indicator.

No need for the special loop and no need for a nail knot to connect the leader.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

You are right.
                It has been such a long time since I used one, that I forgot about the shrink wrapped sleeve. They were necessary to keep the end from fraying.
                One of many senior moments.

Comment

Working...
                X