Crappie Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappie Success

Went to an Smithville pond today with several friends. My target fish today was Crappie. I launched about 10:30 and headed to the western shoreline. I was throwing a #8 Chartreuse Crystal Bugger on my 6wt.
    DSCF0025.jpg
    Within the first 10 minutes I landed a 16-18" Pickerel. It had swallowed the fly, but was not too difficult to remove. I continued fishing the west side of the pond with no success. I had one nibble, but nothing strong. I moved over to the east side and worked my way back to the launch area with no bites. I spoke to several other folks in kayaks and canoes and they had little or no success.
    Finally about 2:30 I landed my first Crappie of the day on the same Crystal Bugger.
    DSCF0027.jpg
    I continued down the same shoreline and had one other Crappie hit.
    My friends had very little success. Was a tough day on the water, but it felt good to feel the warm sun in the afternoon.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Nice job!

C'mon Spring!

Comment

So...John catches a pickerel on a crappie fly -- not a crappy fly, mind you, but a nice fly for crappie that he tied.

Here's an over exposed photo of his catch:

JohnPick.jpg

Further, he caught that pickerel soon after we launched. I thought a good day was ahead of us.

Meanwhile and for a long while I should add, I was casting pickerel flies. Many, many casts to prime pickerel spots. Pick it up and lay it down over and over and for naught. I did not have bite for 3 hours. I did have plenty of casting practice. I tried shallows. I tried deeper water. I tried areas where I knew pads and spatterdock would soon fill the water. I cast under overhanging branches. I cast between branches of deadfall. I gave it my best effort.

Finally, success. I caught a crappie on a pickerel fly. My first bite of the day:

Mark Crappie.jpg

It hit a pink over yellow bendback minnow tied on a 2/0 hook. I was using floating line in about 3 feet of water. I could see emerging spatterdock on the bottom.

But again, I was searching for a pickerel. Surely, there had to one in the pond willing to humor me. And at last there was:

Mark Pick.jpg

I caught this fish on intermediate line in perhaps 5 feet of water. I let the line sink and worked the fly very slowly. Perhaps I should have tried that technique sooner. I would have tried it more but I had to leave for home. I left soon after hooking the pickerel.

It hit an articulated rootbeer crystal bugger tied on a 2/0 hook:

Mark Pick Fly.jpg

That has been my go-to fly for picks since the fall. That and bendbacks.

So again, a very slow day. But two fish on two bites at the end of the day made the drive home cheerier. And besides that, after our miserable February, during which I fished only one day, it was just nice to be on the water. I threw a lot of line today, probably more than mile. But I also stopped at times just to watch the turtles and birds and feel the sun on my back. It was a good day to go fishing.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Smithville was clean and calm yesterday. I hoped for a good bite. I worked spots that usually produce pickerel and crappie, but never found any of them. I avoided a skunk (just barely) by catching a 10" largemouth. I never fish with a fly rod, but did catch the bass on what I consider a "spinning rod fly" (a 1/16-oz jighead and 2" twistertail) on a 6' ultralight rod.

2020-08-11-002.jpg 2019-04-15 08-49-48.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice going guys! I hope to get out in MD in a week or two.

Comment

Working...
          X