Tried Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried Again

Tried again and caught a 12 inch fallfish. I saw a small school of minnows this time. I didn't notice spooking any fish. I don't know where they all go when the water is still cold. I'll keep trying this section because I have caught smallies here before.
    I also like this new measure-net. Convenient, not too heavy, and I like the ruler feature.

What fly were you using?
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Those are my version of this Utah Killer Kebari.
      https://flytyingyarn.com/pages/modif...-killer-kebari

For 2021 I am trying to simplify my fishing a bunch. Here's the plan:
      1. I will use my Tenkara fly rod as often as possible.
      2. I will use my small chest pack to hold my minimal gear.
      3. I will bring my measure net to document how long the fish are that I catch.
      4. I will attempt to use 3 flies and see what I catch.
      A. Utah Killer Kebari will be for sub-surface.
      B. Pink floating foam spider.
      C. Small floating foam popper.

That's it. If I fish from a stream, river, pond, lake, or kayak, I'll give it a shot with those 3 flies and see what I catch.

I will make occasional spinning gear trips depending on what and where I am, or will bring a spinning rod along with me.

Comment

Next year’s goal: Jackson Hole’s One Fly Tournament
        https://www.jacksonholeonefly.org/winning-flies

The fly looks great. Minimalist fishing is the goal. My best memories were spent with a 4wt, tippet/float/smallest Wheatley in the pocket and Chuck’s for wet wading.

Tight lines
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Tom,

How do you get your hands on a fish in a kayak with a Tenkara rod.

I raise my 9 foot fly rods over my head to guide the fish close to the gunwale. I can also strip in line if necessary. You cannot strip line with a Tenkara rod.

Just curious.

Regarding what I carry, I bring few flies. I believe less choice is better. Proven simple streamer and topwater patterns for kayak fly fishing have worked well for me.

I cast four kinds of streamers -- articulated crystal buggers, bendbacks, wooly buggers and Clousers. I can use them in the same sizes and same colors for pickerel, bass and even stripers. About a dozen streamers total, 3 or 4 of each kind, are in a 4 by 6 inch plastic box that I bring in my kayak. That's the only fly box I use at this time of year. They'll catch tidal and pond pickerels, largemouth bass and even crappies. As the water warms. I'll carry another 4 by 6 inch box with poppers/gurglers for the same species in ponds. If I'm targeting bluegills, I'll have a third box with downsized versions of the above streamers and topwater flies.

In tidal waters in spring through fall, that bluegill box will suffice for white perch, minus the surface flies. The streamer box above does double duty for stripers. But I add a 4 by 6 inch box of larger poppers for stripers when I expect surface action from them.

So, I use very few kinds of flies and yet catch a good variety of warm water fish. I'll tie and try different kinds of flies for fun -- like a cicada pattern for the upcoming Brood X hatch. But also I know a black popper will work well at the height of the hatch.

The interesting link about the Jackson Hole one fly contest posted by Jay proves that you don't need a lot of fly choices to catch fish. Knowing where to cast and how to manipulate the fly is far more important than the fly you use. If the fish are present and feeding, they're usually not picky. Tried and true patterns rarely fail if fished correctly.

I believe the same holds for lures. Many are effective. But you need to learn to use only a few well to catch fish.
          Last edited by Mark; 03-22-2021, 01:25 PM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi Mark,

On the Tenkara rod I often have to lift the rod way up high, then grab the line with my other hand. I end up pulling the fish in by hand. The net will come in handy to scoop them up. A lot of it depends on how long of a line you use. I think the fancy Tenkara guys have bunches of line/leader ready in different lengths. I try to keep it simple and have about 12 feet of line and then an extra 3-6 feet of leader.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Hi Mark,

On the Tenkara rod I often have to lift the rod way up high, then grab the line with my other hand. I end up pulling the fish in by hand. The net will come in handy to scoop them up. A lot of it depends on how long of a line you use. I think the fancy Tenkara guys have bunches of line/leader ready in different lengths. I try to keep it simple and have about 12 feet of line and then an extra 3-6 feet of leader.
              Thanks Tom.

Very similar to what I do with a fly rod. I lift conventional rods high too, but the longer the rod, the harder it is to get some fish to the boat.

I've started using a net this winter and it has made boating fish much easier.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I waded here yesterday for about an hour. Had one fish take my fly, but it came off before I could get it close to me.
                There was some sort of insect hatch going on. Lots and lots of very small bugs hovering over the water. I don't know what they were, did not look like stoneflies.

Comment

Caddis we’re going off the Potomac two days ago.
                  Jay

10' Green Slayer
                  13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
                  X