Perch on Shad Flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perch on Shad Flies

Most of us on this forum fish for white perch with small spinners of some kind – Mepps, Beetle Spins or Big Nose Spinners. Some use a simple jig and twister tail or a small crankbait. They're all effective most of the time.

I pour my own jigs so I often use a twister tail. Also, I make spinner jigs with either bucktail or rubber skirts for trailers with traces of crystal flash. My jig hooks can range from size 1 to 2 and with the trailer or twister or bucktail, my perch lures can be over two inches long. The good news with that is that they attract other species – stripers, bass (LM and SM) channel cats, pickerel, redfish, etc. I’ve lost count of the species I’ve hooked with these spinner jigs.

Cast2.jpg Rubber spinners.jpg

I also tie flies. Last winter I made these shad flies. I like their look and they’re simple to tie. I weighted them with bead chain eyes, and their hooks are size 6 Mustad 3366:

Shad darts (2).jpg

However, life got into the way, and I never went shad fishing this spring. But I found a use for them this season. They double as perch flies which surprised me because perch are also attracted to larger noisy moving lures that wobble, have a throbbing twister tail or a spinner blade churning the water.

I’ve been fishing the shad flies as a dropper on about 30 inches of line suspended under a foam float.

Float.jpg

The float is partially finished foam popper. I purposely bent the hook to act as a tie in point for the dropper line. Why not use the popper as intended? In all my years of fishing, I’ve had one perch hit a surface lure. I use a fully developed foam popper on bluegill dropper fly rigs and I’ve learned that they hit the popper about 10% of the time. Most of the time they hit the dropper fly. So, I figure for perch I’ll just forgo the chance of a surface strike and use the foam float as a float only. Plus, the float casts easier streamlined without a tail and rubber legs.

I actually started experimenting with this method last year. I had run onto a fellow doing a similar thing with spinning tackle. He had a small fly suspended under a bobber. I’m not sure if he posts here or not. But I watched him slay perch in the Severn with a dropper and so I give him credit for the idea. In fact, my very first catch on my rig last year was a 20-inch pickerel in the Bodkin. I was using a fly even smaller than my shad fly. Who knew they would attack such a tiny meal?

This year, I’ve been trying the method more often and meeting with more success. This past weekend it worked for perch on outings in the Magothy and the Severn.

In the Magothy, my conventional lures caught the most perch. I used a 1/8 oz. Rapala crankbait, one of my jig spinners and one of my plain jigs with a twister tail. But I also caught some with the dropper fly.

P1060354 (2).jpg

In the Severn, the perch were far more tentative. They would tap my conventional lures but rarely hook up. However, they liked the small dropper.

B.jpg

You can see the float on the water in the above photo.

This small striper even got into the act. It slammed the fly and pulled much harder than a perch as you would expect.

A.jpg

I purposely kept the striper in the water to remove the hook. The 82 degree water and 90 plus degree air temperatures stresses hooked stripers.

I’ve been fishing the dropper with a 9-ft. 5-weight fly rod. After the cast I vary the retrieve. Sometimes I pull it slowly for about a foot and then stop. Other times I make short consecutive strips and then stop. Eventually, I find what the perch in a particular spot want on a given day. Most of the time, they hit the fly on the pause. You’ll know because the float will disappear in a hurry. Then strip a little line and lift the rod tip and the fish is on.

The same areas you fish for perch with conventional lures work with the fly dropper -- shorelines, docks, shady spots.

So, if you want to try a different method for perch, I submit the above. It follows conventional wisdom to reduce the size of your offering when the bite gets tough or you get so-called "short strikes". Also, it’s a nice change of pace from the monotonous casting and retrieving with regular perch lures. And as I am discovering, it’s very effective.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great write up....looking forward to targeting the perch this year with the fly rod.

Sent from my Armor 8 using Tapatalk
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Thanks Chip.

It's a good method that yields surprising results.

However, I was humbled by my grandson after dinner last night. My son and I took him out in the Magothy. He caught more fish than his dad and me combined.

Of course, it's hard for any fly to compete with a Zebco, a bobber, a hook and an earthworm.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

I enjoyed another evening with perch on the Magothy last night with the dropper.

This time I used a Bluegill Bully -- a small fly intended for its namesake:

Bullies.jpg

It amazes me that perch will go after such a tiny meal while also chasing our much larger lures in the very same locations.

P1060367.jpg

Last night a couple of these guys joined the fray:

P1060362.jpg

It's a very relaxing way to fish.
        Last edited by Mark; 07-16-2021, 07:03 AM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Very cool report Mark! Thanks for the photos and explanation. I have plans to hit a small lake this weekend if the weather cooperates. In the past I have had success with foam poppers and damsel fly droppers. If the vegetation isn't too thick, I'll give the dropper a try.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            Very cool report Mark! Thanks for the photos and explanation. I have plans to hit a small lake this weekend if the weather cooperates. In the past I have had success with foam poppers and damsel fly droppers. If the vegetation isn't too thick, I'll give the dropper a try.
            Tom,

Bluegills will favor you, I'm certain.

Last night, I could predict a pumpkinseed vs. a perch.

Pumpkinseeds would hit the float which has no hook on it. When I saw that, my eventual hookup was a pumpkinseed on the dropper.

When the float just disappeared with no attention from a fish, a perch was on the dropper.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I've caught a mixture of small largemouth bass and bluegills/sunfish at this lake before when fishing small foam poppers. The bass are what I like to catch most, but catching fish is my main goal, so I'll take whatever hits.
              This is the dropper fly I normally use.

Comment

Tom,

Thank you.

That's the perfect fly -- easy and fast to tie.

Also, I like the efficiency of the plume being both the tail and body of the fly. Nice technique.

Note the Regal Vise. I hope you're enjoying yours. I like mine.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                X