Brood X Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brood X Revisited

They’ve been gone for weeks. Do any of you miss them? Probably not if they made a crunchy coating on your sidewalks or made your dogs sick from eating them. Evidence of their visit is still seen in dead leaves at the tops of trees marking branches where they laid their eggs. But I have seen none for a long time. I will be 84 when they return, if I am here at all. That’s sobering…

I was surprised at how regionalized they were. I thought Brood X encompassed all of mid-Maryland. That was not the case. Annapolis had one of the heaviest outbreaks locally. I saw thousands of them on the water in the Severn and its creeks. I took many of them for rides in my kayak:

P1050515 (3).jpg P1050521 (2).jpg P1050518.jpg

But I saw no fish eating them in the Severn. They would flutter helplessly on the water. Perch or minnows would nip at them. But I saw none swallowed outright.

My area of Pasadena near Downs Park was lightly impacted. There were some in the upper Magothy but not as many as in the Severn. I saw some around Cockey Creek and along the shoreline of Camp Whippoorwill. But again, I saw no fish eating them. There is some tree damage in those areas now but not as much as there is along the Severn. Trees in my yard show no evidence of cicada damage.

I saw none on a late May visit to Centennial Lake in Columbia but I believe I heard them in the surrounding trees. I caught my first fish of the year on a cicada fly there, this LM bass:

A.jpg

Triadelphia Reservoir was a cicada hotspot. Fish feasted on them there. I caught carp, bluegills, LM and SM bass on cicada flies. Carp were the most fun because they were so aggressive and so big. It was not unusual for 2 or 3 carp to chase one fly. The carp that won the battle would then be chased by its competitors after I hooked it. A true feeding frenzy:

P1050538 (3).jpg P1050545 (3).jpg

The other interesting thing is that carp could definitely distinguish a live cicada from an imitation. When the opportunity allowed, I would cast my fly close to a struggling live cicada. Without exception, carp would hit the live cicada first. Then my fly would disappear only after the real insect was consumed. But even though my imitation fly was a second choice, it yielded a lot of fish.

Bass and bluegills had to be opportunistic cicada feeders. Carp would beat them to the dinner table and outmuscle them for a meal. But a few found my flies:

P1050550 (2).jpg P1050556 (2).jpg

The year 2038 is a long way off. But for those of you fortunate enough to be fishing then, don’t let the opportunity pass. Cicadas will provide you with some great topwater fishing memories.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-18-2021, 11:26 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great post, Mark. I miss Brood X and I live a mile from Triadelphia. I fished Prettyboy Reservoir and did not use any cicada flies. Carp up there were eating the cicadas, but there was way more bugs on the water than carp eating them. Hopefully I’ll be around the next time they emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Evidence of their visit is still seen in dead leaves at the tops of trees marking branches where they laid their eggs.
      Is that what it is?? I've seen clusters of dead leaves up in a few oak trees on my property and thought it was just from the hot weather/lack of rain lately. Then I went to Annapolis and noticed way more clusters of dead leaves on trees... that makes sense now given how hard Annapolis was hit with the cicadas.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
        Is that what it is?? I've seen clusters of dead leaves up in a few oak trees on my property and thought it was just from the hot weather/lack of rain lately. Then I went to Annapolis and noticed way more clusters of dead leaves on trees... that makes sense now given how hard Annapolis was hit with the cicadas.
        Dave,

It's called "flagging."

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...20the%20ground.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Wow, thanks for sharing. The picture in that article looks exactly like what I saw along the shorelines of Weems creek. From a distance I almost thought it was some type of tree/vine that produced orange flowers because of how prevalent it was. Thankfully my area did not get nearly as many cicadas, so I only have a small amount of dead branches, and its limited to the few biggest oak trees around.
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Thank you for the article on flagging. That explains a lot of what I have seen. I thought that it may have been some sort of blight or heat related.

As to the tidal fish not getting into the cicada swarms, remember most of the tidal fish are not particularly voracious surface feeders on anything but smaller fish (piscivorous).
            Other than tidal carp, and perhaps sunfish /bass they wouldn't be focused on eating insects.
            But the geese and turtles were scarfing them down!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              Thank you for the article on flagging. That explains a lot of what I have seen. I thought that it may have been some sort of blight or heat related.

As to the tidal fish not getting into the cicada swarms, remember most of the tidal fish are not particularly voracious surface feeders on anything but smaller fish (piscivorous).
              Other than tidal carp, and perhaps sunfish /bass they wouldn't be focused on eating insects.
              But the geese and turtles were scarfing them down!
              Stu,

I believe water clarity is/was also an issue.

Perhaps the carp could see the downed cicadas easier in the cleaner reservoir waters than in our turbid creeks.

The other interesting thing is that the carp stopped looking for them when Brood X numbers declined. I made two trips to Triadelphia. During the first, there were good numbers of downed cicadas on the water. The carp were cruising near the surface looking for a meal. I could even sight-cast to some of them. During my second, a week later, cicada numbers had declined to sporadic at best. I saw no roving carp. I thought they would have remembered their recent feast and been on the lookout for more. But when the cupboard was bare, they stopped looking, rather quickly as it were.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

The fishing on Triadelphia was indeed impressive. Its been a bit of a let down ever since the cicada hatch wrapped up.
                cicada catfish.jpgcicada carp 2.jpgcicada smallmouth.jpg
                - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Cliff,

I have little experience at Triadelphia.

However, I am impressed with the launch areas that provide easy access, the numerous coves and cuts that offer leeside protection, and the cleanliness of the water.

But my last visit was not good. I suspect July's heat sent the fish to deeper areas than I normally target on that outing.

Have you done well there in the spring and fall? I would expect it to fish much better then with cooler water temps.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark,

I agree that the fish down lake have mostly moved deep. That area of the lake was extremely clear the last time I fished there (July 4th weekend), and the lake was down a couple feet. I did alright trolling shad raps for crappie and perch, but nothing stellar. I started fishing the lake late last summer, and only fished the upper lake then. I didn't catch any big bass last summer, but I caught a lot of them up there.

I only fished the lake once in the late fall, but did extremely well on 4" curly tail grubs. I caught about 40 fish between the bass and pike that day. I did very well this spring, catching several bass in the 3-5 pound range, and even more pike around 20". Spinnerbaits, shallow crankbaits, small swimbaits, and wacky-rigged senkos were the key then.
                    - Cliff

Hobie Compass
                    Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

My son and his fiance caught 5 yellow perch last weekend from Triadelphia. There must have been a school of them near a downed tree.

Comment

Cliff,

Thank you.

Very helpful.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                          My son and his fiance caught 5 yellow perch last weekend from Triadelphia. There must have been a school of them near a downed tree.
                          Sorry Tom,

I missed your post. Good for your son and his fiance. My son caught a yellow perch on a flyrod popper on our last visit. My friend Harry (on the fly here) caught one on a cicada fly there during our carp outings. I've caught them elsewhere but not at Triadelphia and never on a surface lure or fly. Until Harry caught one, I didn't know they would hit on top. Yellow perch and pumkinseeds are our prettiest local catches in my opinion. Very colorful.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                          X