Delaware Pond Delivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware Pond Delivers

My son and I visited a Delaware pond yesterday. The picks were agreeable. We combined for 30 and lost a like number more. That’s common when pickerel fishing. They come unbuttoned frequently – even with sharpened hooks.

Most were small at 15 to 16 inches. I did catch a fat 22-incher but it splashed so much that my waterproof camera lenses got wet and produced a foggy photo:

P1060592 (2).jpg

There was no set pattern. The picks were:
    • On the flats in emerging vegetation
    • In the feeder stream
    • Tight to shore on downed wood

They were happy to chase flies: Bendbacks, Articulated Crystal Buggers and an unnamed large 2/0 fly:

P1060576 (2).jpg

Also…pink flies work. It's one of my favorite colors to use. I caught several picks and a crappie on a pink Bendback:

P1060582 (2).jpg

P1060584 (2).jpg

Yellow is always a good choice. These fish hit a yellow articulated crystal bugger:

P1060587 (2).jpg

P1060590 (2).jpg

Oddly we caught no bass. But we did hook 3 crappies and I caught this very ambitious bluegill on the large unnamed 2/0 fly:

P1060574 (3).jpg

We also tossed topwater flies and got a few swings but no hookups.

All in all, a very nice outing.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark and Adam,
    Nice going on the Pickerel. Sounds like you guys were zeroed in that day. Also, too bad the Blue Gill Tournament is open, that is a nice Blue Gill you landed.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thank you, John.

It was one of those good days...

We left them biting.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

That is a great report Mark. I need to hit some Delaware and Eastern Shore of MD ponds sometime. Not sure if this will be the year with gas being expensive, but we will see how the year progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          That is a great report Mark. I need to hit some Delaware and Eastern Shore of MD ponds sometime. Not sure if this will be the year with gas being expensive, but we will see how the year progresses.
          Tom,

Thank you.

Let me know when. I'll be glad to show you around my favorites. There will be plenty of opportunities.

I fish them October through May. I don't fish them in summer, concentrating on tidal water then. But I'm back on the ponds in the fall.

They're great fisheries for kayakers.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for the offer Mark. One day we will make it happen.

Comment

Working...
            X