Tenkara Poison Ivy and Lost My Personal Largest Smallie Ever on the Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenkara Poison Ivy and Lost My Personal Largest Smallie Ever on the Fly

I had a three day weekend and I fished briefly on Sunday and Monday. Sunday I fished long enough to get poison ivy. Monday I fished long enough to hook into the largest smallmouth bass I've ever had on the end of my fly rod.

Sunday report was a very small flow that I'm not sure I even know the name of it.
    Caught poison ivy and 4 species of fish. Green sunfish. Red breasted sunfish. Fallfish. and Smallmouth bass.

The smallmouth was pretty good size for how small the flow was. It was about 10 or 11 inches long. I also caught 2 or 3 fallfish that were in the 12-13 inch range, but I didn't get any photos of them.

Monday I went to a larger flow that I hadn't fished for a few years. Water was low and clear, but warm. It was around 90 degrees air temperature and I was fishing from around 4PM until 5:30PM.

Pretty quickly I caught a couple of tiny bluegills/sunfish and lost a dink smallie. Then a while later I casted into the center of the flow and hooked into the largest smallmouth bass I've ever had on the end of a fly rod. Since I was using a Tenkara rod, I kep the rod raised high. The fish darted to the right down stream a bit and then the fish jumped out of the water and was eye level with me. It was large and very dark colored. The fish was about 20 feet away from me. After the jump it dug down to the bottom (only about 3 feet deep where we were) gave a few more tugs, and then was gone. I figured it had broken my line, but was surprised to find the hook broke. As I was looking at the fly, the beast surfaced and jumped again about 10 feet down river. I'm guessing it wasn't happy with the hook still in its' mouth. The rest of the fishing was unremarkable. I had another smallmouth bass on and it also came off.

Looks like fun....except for the poison ivy part.
    Native Slayer 12
    Native Ultimate

Comment

Pretty fish. Wet wading little streams used to be one of my favorite ways to fish. Poison ivy is a small price to pay.......

Bummer about the big Smallie, but you were gonna release it anyway.

Looks like a red headed Crystal Flash bugger?

Comment

That's brutal about the snapped hook... you did everything right and your gear failed you. At least you got a good look at the fish. On second thought, I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse haha... I have the image of some lost lunkers permanently seared in my memory.

Great looking fish and great looking spot. I think that last sunfish is a longear sunfish, not a very common fish in MD as far as I know.
        Last edited by dsaavedra; 08-30-2022, 10:43 AM.
        Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
        2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          Looks like a red headed Crystal Flash bugger?
          It's basically a wooly bugger with a black yarn that has flashy stuff in it. It has a hot pink cyclops bead head. It had black hackle behind the bead, but that fell off at least 50 fish prior. It's on a pretty short shank hook, so it wasn't real minnow shaped. My theory was that it was looking more like some sort of black insect buggy hellgrammite thing. The hot pink bead head seems to work very well for me so far in ponds, streams, lakes, and rivers. It has worked for me in Prettyboy Reservoir, OBX ponds, and central Maryland streams, rivers, and ponds.

Comment

Need to back off on the drag on that tenkara.
            Native Slayer 12
            Native Ultimate

Comment

You can bitch about the poison ivy, however I had an encounter with "land nettles" fishing the Upper Potomac below Harper's Ferry that left me in agony for several hours.
              Back in my younger, dumber days, I had taken a "shortcut" from the road down to the River that led me through several hundred yards of nettle infested banks. The cumulative effect of the nettles caused me to have a reaction that caused intense swelling and burning pain that took several hours to subside. Combine that with intense cramping in my quads, calves, and hamstrings, and I was a hurting pup.

Comment

hahaha. Bignose I've been through those stinging nettles a bunch of times. It's never fun. At least wet wading in the river helps cool the sting off some, but those things are no joke for sure. I was dumb and forgot to wear long fishing pants on that trip when I got the poison ivy. It's not going to happen again. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
                  Need to back off on the drag on that tenkara.
                  Yes, that's pretty funny. You're right, I might have landed the fish on spinning gear or even a conventional fly rod.

Comment

Working...
                  X