Personal Best Pickerel in Magothy Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Best Pickerel in Magothy Creek

Yesterday afternoon my son and I tossed flies at Magothy River picks.

We fished in Cockey Creek and Cattail Creek on a rising tide.

The water clarity was excellent as was the weather. Sunny with moderate cloud cover and low wind. It was a beautiful day to be on the water.

However, the bite was almost nonexistent. I had only two hits during the outing and my son had one. We boated those three fish. Each was over 20 inches. My first pickerel was 21 inches and my son’s was 22. Nice catches on the fly.

Then I met this fish in Cattail Creek:

P1060738.jpg

The picture is not as clear I would like but it reached slightly over 25.5 inches on my Hawg Trough. I have caught many picks in our tidal creeks and in Eastern Shore ponds between 22 and 24 inches, but I have never caught one that large before on any tackle.

The fish was tight to shore near a bulkhead in shaded water under an overhanging tree. I had lofted a side-armed cast under the branches and started my retrieve - strip, strip, pause. The fish hit on the pause as they often do.

Being in the tight quarters of a heavily populated creek presented a problem. The pickerel took off toward a nearby docked boat pulling my kayak with it. But I applied enough pressure to turn it away from the boat, just sparing my kayak's bow from collision with the boat’s hull. In open water I got my net under it after several minutes. The fish never jumped, the bigger ones usually do not. And when I saw its head rise from the water, I knew I had hooked my personal best pickerel.

It slammed this streamer fly:

P1060743.jpg

An articulated crystal bugger with bead head eyes and marablu tail tied on a Mustad 3366 hook in size 2/0.

Normally when I catch a pickerel on the fly, they are hooked in the corner of their mouth. This fish inhaled the fly. It was deep in its throat but fortunately in flesh, not its gills. My forceps were too short to reach the hook in such a large fish but I also carry needle nose pliers and I was able to remove the fly with them and release the fish without shedding any of its blood.

That was not the case for me, however. The fish got its revenge before flipping me off with its tail as it departed from my kayak:

P1060741.jpg

That is why I carry antiseptic ointment and Band-Aids when I fish.

Here is a photo of the fish just before I released it:

Resized_20221022_123533.jpg

I used a 9-foot 7-weight rod with intermediate line and a 4-foot leader of 30-pound test mono.

So, yesterday provided a memorable kayak fishing outing even though the bite was poor. The big pickerel will certainly help to cement that session in my memory. But the fall itself, with its moderate temperatures and colorful leaves is a great time of year to enjoy what kayak fishing has to offer.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Congrats. The numbers weren't high, but the memories were.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Congratulations on the PB Mark! A 26" pickerel is a great fish, especially for tidal water. From my experience the pickerel I catch in tidal water are usually on the smaller size, while ones from lakes and ponds get bigger - have you noticed this too?

You couldn't be more correct about the fall weather. This is one of my favorite times of year for fishing and just being outside. If only it lasted longer before winter set in...
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congratulations on catching such a large pickerel. Years ago, I had the chance to learn a lot about pickerel fishing from a real Magothy expert -- Virgil Poe. He has caught countless pickerel in the Magothy and demonstrated firsthand to me that some large ones were lurking there. I'm glad you found one of those big fish.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice!
          I caught my second largest Pickerel in Cattail Creek maybe 15 years ago, one of my earliest spinner jig fish.
          Looks like the fish managed to get a little payback along the way.

Comment

Guys,

Thank you for the encouraging words.

I happened to cast my fly to the right place at the right time.

Dave -- I agree with your observation about pond vs. tidal pickerels. Most of my tidal catches are under 20 inches. By far, I have caught more picks between 22 and 24 inches in ponds. I've wondered why. One supposition is that a pickerel is likely to be an apex predator in ponds. But it shares tidal water with stripers and now snakeheads and bluecats. Maybe tidal fish face more competition for habitat and food, or are more likely to become food themselves. As a result, perhaps tidal pickerels do not live as long as pond pickerels to reach larger sizes.

Based on pickerel growth charts I have seen, that fish yesterday was probably 6 years old. It did well to survive that long to reach that size. I was glad to see it swim away.

Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congrats Mark on your citation Pickerel. Really glad to see some big ones are around. These fish sure give us something to hunt during the colder weather.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks John.

Indeed they do.

A pickerel is usually the last fish I catch in a given year and the first fish I catch in the next one.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

That was a super nice pickerel Mark! Bummer about your bloody thumb. The photo of your bugger fly made me laugh. That thing looked beat up. Cool fish and nice report.

Comment

Tom,

The fish are ultimate judges when it comes to flies.

I wonder myself why they bite that fly. The red and white crystal bugger looks nothing a fish would encounter encounter in nature. Yet it works.

It's easy to tie and has caught many species for me from channel cats and stripers to picks, bass and crappies.

Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                    X