Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Still Fly Fish December - March?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone Still Fly Fish December - March?

I admit, I'm a warm weather, warm water, Tenkara fly fishing fool. I would love to catch some winter time, cold, water, fish on the Tenkara rod though. Do any of you guys still fly fish once the weather gets cold? I have been unsuccessful catching trout in the central Maryland waters near my home. I'm thinking I will give it some real effort this winter.

Back about 30 years ago I was catching Trout in Morgan Run and the Gunpowder around Christmas time.
    The next winter it was sub freezing, and the streams had some ice on them.
    But they are there and they will hit flies, mostly things like nymphs and wooly buggers.

Comment

Well Stu I am motivated to give some effort to it over the next few months. I'll report back how it goes. I'm pretty sure I can catch fallfish in the flows near my home, but would love to find some trout someplace.

Comment

I'm terrible at catching fish here in Maryland once it gets cold. So today's fishing report was a success.

https://youtube.com/shorts/R1NHllfJYOo?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/OB2rYLEmGcw?feature=share

Comment

Tom, Stu,

Late fall and winter are terrific times to both fly fish and kayak fish locally.

I look for days with low wind and dry weather.

I don't venture far in my kayak at this time of year. I seek small waters in tidal creeks and Eastern Shore ponds.

I don't mind ice as long as I can get through it at the ramp and there is is enough open water to target with casts.

My persuit and my predominant catch is the chain pickerel on streamer flies. I also hook an occasional largemouth bass, crappie or yellow perch on my pickerel streamers.

Water temps are in the 40s now which improves water clarity considerably. I especially enjoy it when I see a pickerel slash at my flies. Sometimes in the ponds they will be sunning themselves in the flats and I will sight-cast to them.

Vacant ramps and nonexistent boat traffic also add to my enjoyment in fly fishing from my kayak at this time of year.

Tom -- Nice videos.

Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Fallfish whisperer?

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              Fallfish whisperer?
              haha. Lucky me.

Comment

Yes-I definitely fly fish during the winter. Like Mark said it is mostly for Pickerel in local creeks and Delaware Ponds. My rule is nothing below 40 degrees or wind over 12-14mph. I use mostly streamers size 2 for picks. Give it a try- certainly beats watching the tube during the day!
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

To continue this thread, John and Rentch and I crossed the bridge yesterday to chase picks on the fly in an Eastern Shore pond.

We had a pretty good day boating close to 20 and missing quite few others with long distance releases. Losing fish is common when pickerel fishing. But their aggressivenes was a good sign that they are approaching their typical winter high activity level.

The water was 47 degrees.

John caught the largest at 21 inches:

IMG_5898.jpg

My largest two were only 18 and 17 inches. Most I caught were this size:

IMG_5907 (1).jpg

Lily pads no longer cover the surface at this time of year. But their stems are still present under the water and they remain attractive structure for fish. It's easy to cast flies directly into the remnants of pads now without getting hung up and it's a good approach. This is what you'll see:

IMG_5908.jpg

In the spring and summer that cove's surface was entirely covered with pads. Now the only stems are visible. The picks are still holding both on and the inside of the stems and along the edges. Lay your casts among the stems or parallel to the edges. First, you'll and see a wake approaching your fly, and then you'll feel the hit.

Another place to target now is downed wood:

IMG_5906.jpg

Position your kayak to cast parallel to the wood rather than perpendicular to it and you'll pick up more fish.

Again, chain picks will remain active through the winter and into spring. Then other species will predominate in our ponds and tidal creeks.

But thank goodness for the chain pickerel to give us action at a time of year when most other species have either vacated our waters or gone dormant.

Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for the report Mark, looks like yall had a good day. I'm planning to take my first pickerel trip of this season on Sunday, hoping for the best.
                    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
                    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
                      Thanks for the report Mark, looks like yall had a good day. I'm planning to take my first pickerel trip of this season on Sunday, hoping for the best.
                      Good luck.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for the great report and photos Mark.

Comment

Working...
                        X