Surprise Catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise Catch

Decided to get on the water this morning with calm winds and a flood tide. I entered a pond off the Severn and started throwing a White Schminnow fly (similar to a Crystal Bugger) along the edges of the pond.
    1A79360F-2FAD-4FE8-B173-D3F04B134404.jpg
    I started on the right side throwing to the shoreline for Pickerel. I finally reached the back end of the pond in 1-2 FOW when the line went taunt. As I was pulling it in I thought it was a Striper due to body shape, but ended up being a nice fat White Perch-12”. Surprise, surprise! I guess the minnow supply is enough to keep it here.
    D16321A4-48AF-4878-AD78-DA2E7C674273.jpg
    I continued looking for a Pickerel and after seeing something chasing some minnows in the center of the pond, I went over and landed my only Pick of the day-18”. No picture, sorry,
    Attached Files
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Nice holdover perch, John.

I wonder why it wasn't with its white perch friends in deeper water for the winter?

An outcast that succumbed to your cast. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You're doing well with that white fly.

Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That's one "chonk" of a Perch for anytime of the year.

Brave man to go out in a kayak when it is this cold.........

Comment

Actually wasn’t too bad. I was the only person on the water.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I think the 4 of us are the only ones who post in these fly fishing threads. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
            I think the 4 of us are the only ones who post in these fly fishing threads. haha.
            Well...it's not because we're trying to exclude others from the fun and effectiveness of fly fishing.

Also, the fish we catch on the fly in our kayaks are in the same locations with respect to season, depth, currents and structure and they respond to the same stimuli that conventual anglers using lures depend upon for strikes.

So, if SL readers ignore this thread, they are missing information that will help them catch fish regardless of what kind of tackle they use.

I read, enjoy and learn something from all threads here.

Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
            X