Nice Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Surprise

A group of Free State Fly Fishers visited a Delaware pond on Monday looking for Pickerel. We launched around noon with average winds from the NW, but as the day progressed, they picked up making it necessary to fish in the lee of points of land. I managed three, the largest was 23.5”. It was caught on a White Schminnow (version of a Crystal Bugger).

032ED632-AED1-40F1-BDA8-2ED7503BD51B.jpg

70500917-D470-42BC-9088-0B251EAB1F39.jpg

Had a fun time even though the catches were slim.
    Attached Files
    Set Poll timeout
    0%
    Make votes pubic
    0%
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Very nice. I got out last week from the shore...had a little guy follow and make two swipes, but no hook up. After that, nada ...but it felt good to keep the casting arm limbered up and muscle memory active.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Looks like 24" to me Congrats on the citation fish John!
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Congrats to John on his catch. Nice chunky fish.

It strengthened his hold on second place in our FSFF pickerel contest. We still have a long way to go with club member entries accepted until mid April.

I joined John that day with two other club members. It was difficult fishing because the wind blew in double digits right up the center of the pond -- one of those rare days when Windfinder.com understated its forecast. With few places to get out of the wind, only about 25% of the pond was fishable. I managed to get 7 picks and 3 bass in the kayak on the fly but none was worth a photo. As usual when pickerel fishing, I lost a few to long distance releases. I believe the fish were willing, but the wind conspired against us.

Emerging pads and spatterdock were visible on the bottom in the clear winter water. The picks were holding on the flats in that sprouting vegetation but the churning waters on the surface made them reluctant to leave their cover to chase our flies.

It has been an odd winter. We had ice on the ponds and in the creeks in December and moderate temperatures since. But prohibitive winds have been prevasive.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X