Farm Pond Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm Pond Fun

I enjoy fishing Eastern Shore millponds. I routinely fish public access ponds – those managed by either the MD DNR or DE DNREC.

But an opportunity arose for me today to fish a private farm pond on the Eastern Shore. All I had to do was to ask permission. I approached the door with some hesitation. However, a very pleasant lady greeted me, and said, “I see you’re here to fish. Well, have a good time.”

However, fishing under a sign like this one even with permission is unsettling:

P1060815.jpg

On the other hand, that sign implied to me a fishery that was perhaps underutilized. I had visions of 24-inch pickerels, 5-pound bass and 10-inch bluegills.

It didn’t work out that way. For the first two hours I cast a size 2/0 Bendback Minnow on a 7-weight rod hoping for a pickerel or bass. I caught neither. In fact, I had no bites. And I had targeted all the proper fishy spots for those two species.

So, I took break for a while and ate a sandwich I had purchased at a Royal Farms Store before I started fishing. That seemed to be an appropriate source for lunch given I was fishing a farm pond. Of course, on the Eastern Shore there is a Royal Farms store on nearly every street corner. They’re hard to miss.

While eating lunch, I saw adult and juvenile bald eagles perching in trees and soaring overhead. Plus, I saw a deer walking through a wooded area bordering the pond munching on new growth. And turtles, lots of water turtles, some as with shells as big as a hubcap were poking their heads above water.

After lunch I shifted tactics and cast this fly on a 5-wt. rod:

IMG_6205.jpg

I don’t know if it was the fly or the time of day, or if I had just lucked into the right spot. But I caught 12 bluegills most of which were 7 to 8-inches in the next hour in about a 200-foot stretch of water. Here are two:

P1060808.jpg

P1060810.jpg

Then I caught this little bass on the same bluegill fly:

P1060813.jpg

I wondered if the bass and picks had finally awakened. So I gave up on the hot bluegill bite. I put my 5-wt. back into its holder and I tried my 7 wt. again.

I caught a second little bass. This one hit the Bendback:

P1060806.jpg

Then I hooked this somewhat respectable bass (compared to the first two) on the Bendback:

IMG_6207.jpg

That was my last fish of the day. I kept casting the Bendback, but I had no more hits. Plus, the windspeed rose as predicted making it difficult to stay on the structure I wanted to target. After about 3.5 total hours of fishing I called it a day.

I was pleased even though my catches did not match my anticipation for this pond. For one thing, the trip spared me a fishless March. I had been able to get out only two prior times this month, both tidal, and both were fishless. Secondly, I had injured my casting arm a few weeks ago by lifting a heavy object. I was pleased today to know that I can pitch a double header with my fly rod if I need too. No arm pain while casting.

I will visit that farm pond again in April or May to see if I can locate its larger inhabitants. Also, I will enjoy the springtime fishing in the public access ponds across the bridge.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great post Mark (good looking fuzzy butt bully, I'm sure you don't call it that) I'm currently in NC, which is a lot colder than I expected, considering the home weather. I managed 3 small BG on the orvis 5wt you gifted to me. No bass were interested in wooly huggers yet, but with a really really slow retrieve, the BG would hit a beige and black midge. My best friend, who has only ever fished with bobbers and worms was shocked to see me catching fish before he did with the fly rod. It was a slowish day, but catching up was priceless, specially while being able to do it while fly casting.
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Chip,

Excellent. I knew that Orvis rod had some fish left in it. I'm glad it's working for you.

I tried a black wooly bugger myself yesterday -- the universal fish-finding fly. Nothing. But when I tied on the green fly (I call it a Bully Bugger) it was like flipping a switch.

Enjoy your time in NC with your buddy and the bluegills.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Great trip report Mark! I always love your stories and photos. Very cool to get permission to fish a private pond and nice to see someone catching larger fish than me. haha.

Comment

Nice going Mark, way to get the skunk off. March has been a tough month for me also - I went 4 or 5 consecutive trips without catching a fish. Like you, I have since rebounded from this drought in the last few days though. Feels good to be catching again.

That must be quite the farm pond if it's big enough for you to take a kayak in! Most farm ponds I've fished are little more than muddy holes in the ground. They usually hold some very nice bass though. I'm curious - was this a "cold call" i.e. you saw the pond and just knocked on their door to ask to fish? Or was it a "friend of a friend" situation, where you had some sort of distant connection to the owner?
          Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
          2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Dave,

Definitely due to a recommendation by a friend. I would never do a cold call.

This pond was at least 20 acres. I base that estimate on public ponds where I know the acreage.

It's fed by a creek. Perhaps there was a grain mill on site near the dam years ago.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Dave,

Definitely due to a recommendation by a friend. I would never do a cold call.

This pond was at least 20 acres. I base that estimate on public ponds where I know the acreage.

It's fed by a creek. Perhaps there was a grain mill on site near the dam years ago.
              Awesome, consider yourself lucky to have access to such a large private pond! I'm sure it will be really coming alive later in April
              Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
              2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Working...
              X