A Third Storm Water Management Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Third Storm Water Management Pond

Took a friend fishing to another local storm water management pond. This guy hadn't fished for over 10 years. He bought a license, but had no fishing gear yet. So I brought a spinning rod and some small lures to try and catch the target species, green sunfish.

I got my buddy started with an in-line spinner. He was casting fine and had used a spinning rod and reel before. Once he got going, I moved about 30 feet away and started fishing with my Tenkara rod. First cast I catch a small green sunfish. My friend is amazed. I told him that fly fishing is the most effective way to catch bluegills and sunfish that I know. Over the next 10 minutes I catch several more green sunfish and he's really impressed. Number 1, he's impressed I knew of a nice little pond that nobody fishes that is in plain sight. Number 2, he's amazed the pond has fish in it. Number 3, he's astounded at the effectiveness of the tiny fly and the Tenkara rod.

So I make my way back to him and encourage him to use the Tenkara rod. I show him the tiny fly and the basics of how to cast. Number 4, he's amazed at how easy it is to cast. He's casting ok and getting the fly out there in the pond. He doesn't catch anything after a few minutes and suggest he move about 30 feet away in the other direction where neither of us has cast yet. Shortly thereafter he has a green sunfish on his hook and he's smiling ear to ear.

I think he ended up catching 2 green sunfish and I had around 8 or 10. Yesterday it was a great evening weather fishing that last 45 minutes or hour before sunset. No breeze. My buddy said he really had a great time and we will see if he ends up getting a Tenkara rod. I offered to help him decide what type of fishing gear he should get. I told him it really depends on where he likes to fish and what type of fish he wants to catch. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting a Tenkara rod of his own. He said he liked how simple it was.

I told him he can't tell anyone about the pond. I've never seen anyone else fishing there. He seemed to get it.

Here's a fish I caught.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lBnJfOGxU20?feature=share

You are a good friend to help your buddy catch some fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sounds like a great evening spent with a friend, nice work
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Very nice. I hit a private pond last week in NC with my best friend form HS. He has never fished with anything other than bobbers and worms. I used the fly rod. It was close, but I had him with numbers at the end of the evening. Being able to cast quickly, let me cover more water ...and to instantly cast to the BG that were coming up to the surface was the ticket. I think a gift of a fly rod is in his future...just casting is part of the therapy. I have yet to try the tenkara....it's on my to do list.
        Hobie Outback
        Stand Up Paddle Board
        Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
        X